• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 A-66 Challenger Convertible

budascuda

Reaction score
Looking good.....
Spot welds can pop by a sudden shock (sometimes!), so you would see stitch welds here and there to keep the cab from falling apart in case of a bad accident, The stitch weld on the bracket is a kind of safety overkill to prevent the spare tire getting launched out of the trunk like a UFO!

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
I also added some stitch welds where the new trunk floor and trunk extensions meet. These were places where I noted factory stitch welds where the trunk floor extension tab overlapped the main floor. Original welds looked very sloppy under the body seam sealer!

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
Picture of the left side original welds after removal of seam sealer

IMG_2754.jpg

340challconvert

Reaction score
Original welds above; pic of the new trunk floor welded to the original trunk extension (same side)
I added a few intermittent welds to be covered with seam sealer.
Also put some spot welds underneath on the L edge lip,
More neat IMO

IMG_5287.jpg

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
Installed the right side wheel well patch and ready to attach the new trunk extension to the new trunk floor.
(I still need better welding skills! 😆)

Have to watch the blow through when welding new metal to the original metal when stitch welding)
IMG_5293.jpg

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
Installation of rt side new trunk extension to the new trunk floor.
Had to bend the L lip on the back of the extension to slip it under the tail panel. A lot of patience needed to get this to fit properly (aligning with wheel well lip, trunk floor lip and rear cross member end tab)o_O

IMG_5609.JPG

IMG_5610.JPG

340challconvert

Reaction score
I have different sets (brands) of spark plugs already for my A66; I went looking for original Champion N9Y's for Mopar 340's and picked up 4 of them. I know they now have N9YC, but wanted to have set of original Champions. Paid $7.00 each. I know there are many "modern" well designed plugs available today. Just want a set, almost for nostalgia sake

Champion N9Y spark plugs.jpg

fasjac

Reaction score
Can you share those with us? Just curious exactly where.

340challconvert

Reaction score
I thought the factory welds on my left side trunk floor to extension were pretty sloppy; after I scraped off the seam sealer. (pic above)
Right side trunk floor and extension is new AMD.
Just partially spot welded the right side extension; not fully welded and ground down yet.
Next step; welding the lower quarter patch panels

IMG_5349.jpg

IMG_5351.jpg

IMG_5354.jpg

340challconvert

Reaction score
Interesting spark plug purchase; I picked up a set of 10 original Champion N9Y Plugs with original Mopar part number 2642493. Wonder if Champion or Mopar would honor the warranty?
😏

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

340challconvert

Reaction score
Wheel well rust repair
Looking at what type of patch I will need to make to repair this?

(Cleaned out a large amount of installation material; looks like mice made my sill area a home while the car was in storage over the last 35years) o_O

IMG_5380.jpg

IMG_5378 (1).JPG

340challconvert

Reaction score
Debating on how to properly patch this area.
I cut off the "tag" that was welded to underlying wheel well metal (area shown by blue marker)
I have a triangle shaped piece already cut and could weld it directly over the entire existing area.
Or cut a smaller triangle piece and weld over only the open hole area, then weld a 1/2 in strip over the right side angle to mimic the original.

Seems like a lot of extra work, especially since the wheel well will be covered with undercoat and not really visible.

IMG_5664.JPG

moparlee

Reaction score
I cut off the "tag" that was welded to underlying wheel well metal (area shown by blue marker)
I have a triangle shaped piece already cut and could weld it directly over the entire existing area.
Or cut a smaller triangle piece and weld over only the open hole area, then weld a 1/2 in strip over the right side angle to mimic the original.

Seems like a lot of extra work, especially since the wheel well will be covered with undercoat and not really visible.

View attachment 79011
How's the drivers side Phil? I guess if the drivers side doesn't need any repair work, I would try to make this side look as close to factory as you can.
You can do it:thumbsup:

fasjac

Reaction score

View attachment 79011
I’m not a welder but, it looks like cutting the area out (blue mark) and making your patch from there may be better. I’m not sure about easier though. I am sure it will look good when you’re finished, either way you go. I’ve seen your work.

Back