• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 A-66 Challenger Convertible

budascuda

Reaction score
I don't know about at that. I bet more have been wrecked by men and gone to the crusher, than those in storage eaten by rodenta.
Oh, I meant the "men" who restore classic cars not the entire mankind !
But that was good hyperbole tho

budascuda

Reaction score
Very nice, looks like good sheet metal everywhere, specially for a convertible! 👍

340challconvert

Reaction score
Continuing to prep and respray the engine compartment and transmission hump. Should be able to install the engine this week:)

IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_0821 (2).jpg

IMG_0819 (2).jpg

budascuda

Reaction score
I like the way you left everything in place and just masked it, that's good mechanic's way Mr. principal !

Cuda_mark

Reaction score
I can't believe how clean the floors are on your car! Must have been taken care of very well over the past 50 or so years.

BriceRoad

Reaction score
Just found this thread. Wow! Your car is coming along great! I wish mine looked half as good! I will keep Rogers in mind. There aren't many good machine shops left anymore.

budascuda

Reaction score
the motor is at the perfect stage to check the oil pressure !
Veeeeery nice !

340challconvert

Reaction score
Test fitting the original valve covers vs the Edelbrocks, laying out the restored correct AVS carb, and scoping out the throttle cable and hookups!
1691935253479.png

1691935300378.png

340challconvert

Reaction score
Points and condenser?
I dropped in the original distributor to set the rotor at #1 cylinder at TDC. hopefully for an easy start!
Want to start the car and get it running first with the original harness and points distributor; I have the Mopar conversion kit I bought years ago and will install later. I also have an extra reproduction electronic ignition harness designed to be used with the electronic components. Did not want to alter the original harness and then run into start up problems!

Good eyes on noticing the distributor!

budascuda

Reaction score
Man!, That's very smart!
You certainly know where the problems are but wisely and methodically you avoid them before hand, it's like giving the devil the finger at every turn 😇
I hope people can learn from your method of approach, I certainly have learned a lot.
Thanks...

340challconvert

Reaction score
Man!, That's very smart!
You certainly know where the problems are but wisely and methodically you avoid them before hand, it's like giving the devil the finger at every turn 😇
I hope people can learn from your method of approach, I certainly have learned a lot.
Thanks...
Buda, thank you for your thoughts
Phil

BriceRoad

Reaction score
I agree. Looks like you are doing everything right. The only thing I would do different is I prime the engine right before or as close to start up as possible. I use a telescoping magnet to remove and replace the oil pump drive gear so I don't have to pull the intake manifold off and on again. Best of luck with it and keep us posted.

340challconvert

Reaction score
BriceRoad
Thanks for your thoughts.
I did prime the engine and will do so again before initial start up
The bushing and oil pump drive gears are new (had an original NOS Mopar unit I bought in the 1980's that I used.
Cleaning up the throttle cable backets and installing an NOS 340 throttle cable I had in storage with the oil pump drive gear.
I am still waiting for my original HD torqueflite to come back from the rebuilder. Getting close after all these years to a running Challenger!

Back