• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 A-66 Challenger Convertible

340challconvert

Reaction score
Work has been going slowly over the Christmas holiday.
Some additional pics:

left side floor stripped.JPG

rt side floor.JPG

top pump w lines.JPG

top pump close up.JPG

bk seat w top pump.JPG

340challconvert

Reaction score
Dis-assembly and Clean-up Continues:
- Stripping off the seam sealer, at inner quarters and wheel well. Metal looks good so far.
- Surface rust on flooring sanding off reasonably well. Using a belt sander with 80 grit seems to work.
- Pics show placement of sealers to be replaced, metal seams look good.
- Trunk is where the work will be. Very deteriorated at the hanging points. Most of the center section in poor condition. Will need to replace trunk floor. Trunk extensions seem solid.
Original space saver spare in trunk removed for clean-up.
Shows the factory white marking on the face of the rim.

lft side floor back w tunnel.JPG

floor lft side quarter view.JPG

lft side rear floor vert pump.JPG

trunk fl left.JPG

trunk fl rt 2.JPG

trunk center rt.JPG

space saver spare.JPG

340challconvert

Reaction score
Found the original plaque card from the NorthEast Hemi-Owners Association Meet in Westwood, MA, in May of 1982. Picture taken at registration for the event.

Hemi Owners Meet Plaque.jpg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I love the old pics and documentation that you have with this car. I so wish I had that sort of thing with my vert.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Dino2 (1).gif
Cleaning up the sheet metal goes slow.
Floor shows some pitting, but floors cleaning nicely
Interesting sloppy weld slag on floor below the welded bracket for the console
Damage relegated to 2 areas of the front left drivers floor: at crease in floor below pedals and side of floor by door

fr floor weld slag.JPG

console mt bracket.JPG

floor lft side back clean.JPG

floor fr left damage 1.JPG

floor fr left damage closeup.JPG

Last edited:

moparlee

Reaction score
[QUOTE Interesting sloppy weld slag on floor below the welded bracket for the console[/QUOTE]
You are right.....takes a lot of elbow grease and time. Typical sloppy factory welds.

gdrill

Reaction score
Heck ya. Looking great. I wish mine was so solid! Paint on the floor would be great .......oh ya a floor would be great! I love the old pics too. It's cool you've had this car for this long. Not too many guys can say the same. I'm subscribed now. :)

340challconvert

Reaction score
When I removed the rear interior convertible panels, started taking the seam sealer off at the factory wheel well seams. So far so good. There was black paint overspray on the interior, rear wheel wells on both sides by the seams. Was there a purpose to this? I think it was there to hide the brighter yellow paint at the edges when the top part of the back seat was installed?
Dino2 (1).gif

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
Dino2 (1).gif
I found a name scrolled on the right rear inner quarter wheel well "Al" in oil pen

Inner quarter trim panel was never removed before, this should be as assembled.
I know that others have found the name "ROC" scrolled on inner wheel well housings for cars put together at Hamtramck.
Anyone ever see AL's signature on their car?
Floors still cleaning up nicely!

rt rear in quarter w Al.JPG

rt rear in quarter Al 2.JPG

rt rear floor cleaned.JPG

rt rear floor cleanup.JPG

340challconvert

Reaction score
Found an interesting plastic part inside the rt quarter panel
It is a curved flat piece with a u shaped lip on top
Pulled it out of the bottom of the quarter panel between the quarter panel and inside framework.
Looks like it was designed to channel water to the drain hole below the window roll down channels in the rear quarters?
Cleaned out a lot of debris from the bottom, luckily no rust through issues here!
Dino2 (1).gif

rt side in quarter plastic mold 2.JPG

rt side in quarter plastic mold top.JPG

rt side in quarter plastic mold.JPG

moparlee

Reaction score
[QUOTE="paharamia] I know that others have found the name "ROC" scrolled on inner wheel well housings for cars put together at Hamtramck.[/QUOTE]

My 71 Challenger has "ROC" written in the LH inner wheel well housing, built in Hamtramck. I see you still have the plastic vapor barrier on the inside quarter panel frame structure.

Last edited by a moderator:

340challconvert

Reaction score
I know that others have found the name "ROC" scrolled on inner wheel well housings for cars put together at Hamtramck.

My 71 Challenger has "ROC" written in the LH inner wheel well housing, built in Hamtramck. I see you still have the plastic vapor barrier on the inside quarter panel frame structure.

Was the purpose of the vapor barrier to channel water?

moparlee

Reaction score
Was the purpose of the vapor barrier to channel water?

No I think it was to just prevent moisture from entering the cars interior due to cold temps outside and warm inside the car. Kind of like the vapor barrier on house insulation. My car also had the plastic sheet on the door interior structure. I just looked in my Body Service Manual and the factory called it an "air shield". It shows it both on door and quarter panel interior and shows how it is taped and adhesived to the metal.

norwayduster

Reaction score
Found an interesting plastic part inside the rt quarter panel
It is a curved flat piece with a u shaped lip on top
Pulled it out of the bottom of the quarter panel between the quarter panel and inside framework.
Looks like it was designed to channel water to the drain hole below the window roll down channels in the rear quarters?
Cleaned out a lot of debris from the bottom, luckily no rust through issues here!
View attachment 24227[/QUOTE
this is it.
Convertible rain deflectors

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Very kool stuff! I'd like to see the piece you found "in place", did you google the part #? Anybody have a 1970 parts book?

340challconvert

Reaction score
Very kool stuff! I'd like to see the piece you found "in place", did you google the part #? Anybody have a 1970 parts book?

I never knew it existed!
The piece slips in, between the bottom of the quarter panel and the flat base directly below the rear window track. The U shaped lip is on the top, with an open part of the u channel toward the back. ( the shape and opening of u channel made it look like it was for water channeling) I will reinstall and try to take pictures. You could barely see the piece even after I cleaned the debris. There was also a piece of black tape laying there: looked like the tape held the piece in place?

Did not even know the piece existed!
The part was placed between the lower wall of the bottom quarter panel and the base directly below the window track. There is about a 3/4 in. opening between the quarter panel and this base. It laid flat against the quarter with the u-shaped lip on top. The open part of the u-channel was on the back of the part.
The way it was placed and the u channel made it look like it was designed to channel water to the back of the channel and down to the weep hole at the bottom of the inside quarter? I could not even see the part until I cleaned out the debris. I also need to check the drivers side inside quarter.
I will put the part back in place and see if I can get a clean picture!
Dino2 (1).gif

Back