• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 A-66 Challenger Convertible

340challconvert

Reaction score
I see, thanks! I'll be interested to see if mine are still with the car somewhere.
Matt
Part number is only partially intact: best reading is: 35083_1
I will see if there is a more intact number on the left side piece
Date code intact 64923 2

340challconvert

Reaction score
I was totally wrong on where this part goes. (I found mine wedged at the bottom of the quarter and upside down) It apparently fell off and down into the quarter a long time ago!
Further research found on a sister mopar site:
"They are black plastic and clip on the metal structure on the inside of the 1/4 windows. They are just ahead of the top frame in front of the 1/4 glass."
I also had the part upside down, the u shaped channel is on the metal frame and deflects water.
Always something new to learn!
Dino2 (1).gif

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

340challconvert

Reaction score
You must not have seen the link from Norwayduster...

Sorry, did not seem to have his link?
Oddly, I found the left side unit in the same place; wedged in against the bottom quarter panel wall like they were placed there?
Even if they fell down in there, they were wedged in tightly and pushed down/deep.
2nd had a clean part #3505350 w the rt side 351
A pair just sold on ebay this month for 150. Ouch
Always good to learn something new!
Thanks to all.

Dino2 (1).gif

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

340challconvert

Reaction score
Water coming into the back seat area of a Challenger convertible?
A current issue that I need to solve. I have owned a number of Challenger / Cuda convertibles over the years.

Two of the convertible cars I owned: when it would rain, the water would fill the rear floor of the car in front of the back seat.

This just happened to my 70 A-66 car when it was outside for the first time in years when I was cleaning it up.
The rugs had already been removed, so I pulled the floor plugs out to drain it.

I also owned a 71 hemi-orange 383 vert back in the 70's. I remember the same thing would happen when it rained.
On my current car, the water rail around the bottom of the back window/ sides is intact, not rotted or rusted.

I did just find the factory water diverters inside the bottom of the quarters. Could the absence of these parts in place cause water to come into the interior of the car?

I am also cleaning out debris from the interior bottom of each quarter to make sure the drain holes are open

The black seam sealer as well as the white semi-hard sealer is still intact at the bottom of each internal rear quarter metal frame.

Anyone else with a convertible ever have water come into the back seat? Causes? Cures?

Dino2 (1).gif

jeff968

Reaction score
I'm sure there are multiple reasons for this but the one I recall was that the drain holes that are located between the quarter and the rocker would clog up. I would need to take a hanger and clear them out. They would pick up leaves.

340challconvert

Reaction score
I have the rear quarter interior panels out as I clean up the car's floors for rustproofing and painting. I'm finding 40 + years of junk down by the drain holes. As noted above, believe it or not I found the plastic water diverters that are usually up by the quarter windows, deep jammed down into the bottom of the quarters. I will check the weep holes at the bottom. There really is no other visible sign of a place where water could come in to the interior.
Thanks
Dino2 (1).gif

340challconvert

Reaction score
As I clean up the floor and strip the seam sealers, there was a white sealer that was painted and located all along the bottom of the each internal quarter where it meets the rear floor. Was tough to get off with a sharp scraper. It really formed a barrier between the car interior and bottom of the internal quarter panel support. What is this in comparison to the the black seam sealer that was placed at all the floor panel seams?
I will look to replace the sealer material after I rust bullet the floor. The white sealer almost looks like non-silicone based window caulking.
Dino2 (1).gif

340challconvert

Reaction score
Interior Floor Metal Clean-up
Using a combination of a belt sander, DA, Wire brushes in a drill and hand sanding.
80 100 and 120 Grit
bottom of first photo showing inside bottom of quarter is where I removed all of the "white" sealer.
Lots of labor but happy with the results!
Dino2 (1).gif

rt quarter inside cleaned.JPG

rt side back of seat cleaned.JPG

rt side floor cleaned.JPG

rt side front floor cleaned.JPG

gdrill

Reaction score
Heck ya that is looking really good. It's a lot of work on these old girls but satisfaction is tremendous once you can sit back and look at what you've accomplished.

340challconvert

Reaction score
I was motivated by another NJ member,djais1801 who recently purchased a b body mopar and was seeking information about the original owner of his newly acquired car. He was successful and spent much time talking with the owner.
He gave me the motivation to do the same for my A66 Challenger convertible.
I was lucky and had some original paperwork (warranty material with owner's name, and insurance cars with the name.
Looked the name up on Facebook and found the person with the same name including middle initial and a contact number.
I called and left a message, and got a call back within an hour.
Original owner is in his late 70's and is still a practicing attorney!
Lives in the same town in NJ in a house only several blocks from the address on the original paperwork.
Found out that he was a partner years ago in a car repair business and used to race a b body mopar.
My Challenger was sometimes used as transport when he would take the B body to the track in South Jersey.
He was excited about hearing from me and recited the exact serial number of my car verbatim from memory!
He thought the car was long gone or sitting in a junk yard somewhere and never expected to hear from anyone.
We are keeping in touch and he will look for any early paperwork or photos of my car.
He is still a big mopar fan at 78 and wanted to buy a new Challenger, but instead purchased a new Hemi Charger.
Talk about a life long Mopar fanatic.
Dino2 (1).gif

Back