• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 Challenger 225 Slant 6 to 440 BB swap

Navy Pilot

Reaction score
Hey guys,

First post on this website. Could someone point me in the right direction for information on swapping the slant 6 out for a 426 (70 Challenger)? Thanks!

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from the Motor City! I don't have all your answers off the top of my head but you've come to the right place. I would say you will at least need a Hemi K-frame although there may be conversion kit for the standard V8 K-frame.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
There are aftermarket K frames for the Hemi or you can swap to a V8 K & use Schumaker mounts www.engineswaps.com
I would also swap the rad wall for the 26"
You will need to swap Torsion bars to something around 1"
No sure what brake you have but those should be upgraded as well .
The title of the thread is swap to a 440 & inside the thread you want to swap to a 426 , which engine did you want to swap to , they are totally different ?

DukeBoy

Reaction score
Have swapped a slant 6 to BB Wedge with homemade mounts. Never swapped out T-bars, but did have to swap out for larger radiator. T-bars were already in another BB Car I have and they do make a difference, so would recommend them as well.

Will most likely need BB 727, or bellhousing for A833, and stock, BB driveshaft, or custom made one from some place like "Denny's" driveshafts.

Will most likely need to upgrade rearend as well. Might live under normal driving, but who swaps in a 440 BB and drives "Normal" all the time?

CaseyCuda

Reaction score
Hopefully I get a reply lol. But I too am swapping a 318 car over to a 440 and I have the k frame out rebuilding the suspension. When you go to the 1 inch torsion bars do you need to swap the cups in the torsion support ad lower a arm or are the ends the same size and the bar itself is larger?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Hopefully I get a reply lol. But I too am swapping a 318 car over to a 440 and I have the k frame out rebuilding the suspension. When you go to the 1 inch torsion bars do you need to swap the cups in the torsion support ad lower a arm or are the ends the same size and the bar itself is larger?

You can go up to 1.22" torsion bars , the sockets ends are all the same size just the bar diameter increases

Back