• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 Challenger Center Console Question

vice guy

Reaction score
Greetings: I'm taking possession of a 1970 Challenger Convertible in a few days. The car started out with an automatic transmission, but now has four-speed in it. It has the pistol grip shifter handle, but no center console. I'm going to change out the interior and replace the carpet. I would like to add a center console when the interior is being changed. My question deals with the difference between an auto & manual center console. I know that the top plates are different, but could someone tell me if there is any other difference between the two? Could I use an center console from an auto tranny for my application? I'm having a difficult time locating a used manual center console and not too sure about the quality of the newly made (Chinese) four-speed ones that are out there. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

RUNCHARGER

Reaction score
I trimmed an automatic one to make it into a 4 speed one once. Basically on the drivers side bottom you have to trim the portion that hangs down on an automatic console. It's really easy but it would help if you had a 4 speed one there for reference. The part of the automatic one that hangs down would hit the four speed hump.

Sheldon

Back