• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 Cuda Power Window Problem

jim6346

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Working on a 70 Cuda with power windows for the first time. Biggest issue is the passenger
door. The window seems to come down fine, but going up from all the way down it stops
about 1" up. It seems to bind up, I give it a little pull and it will go, but very slowly. I greased
the runners and rollers, no luck.

Is there a particular adjustment I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Even the newer cars after a few years do that. Not enough power. Bad connections, switches wires and relay connection. The wires in the door jam brake from movement. Open the door part or half way to see if it gets better. Sometimes the passenger switch has a better connection.
Check chassis ground I wouldn't think but you never know. Motor might need greased.

6491444-pwe.JPG

6491446-pwe1.JPG

6491449-pwe2.JPG

6497105-4803573-4776710-Power-Window-WiringDiagram-2.jpg

Last edited:

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Additionally, the motors themselves respond well to a good old bench top cleaning. The old original grease gets hard and caked up in areas inside the drive head where it no longer lubricates.
I have lots of experience with these being an Imperial enthusiast.

moparleo

Reaction score
I would clean out all the grease.
Really, scratch mark the guide locations and remove for a complete cleaning and inspection.
My experience over the years with a multitude of different parts that require some lubrication is that a lot of times the wrong type of lubricant is used and way too much of it as well.
The more lube you use, the more gunk it will attract. Keep it to a minimum .
The moving parts see very little stress and there is very little friction.
Not like a suspension or engine part that is constantly moving and under load.
If you have ever disassembled anything that has gears or rollers, not neccesarily automotive, you will see that the factory just used a dab here and there and let the moving part distribute the lube to where it needs to be.
Clean is always key.

jim6346

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, turning into a big project :(

Another problem, I have the rear quarter glass lined up nice, but it goes up about 1/4" too far, I don't see any
upper bump stops anywhere. Is there an adjustment for this?

Thanks!
Jim

jim6346

Reaction score
I would like to thank everyone for their help. I am still at a loss on the passenger side windows.
The door and quarter glass go down ok, but barely come back up. The drivers side goes up and
down very nicley.

I have tried:
Cleaned tracks and guides and lubed lightly with White Lithium Grease
Tried adjusting in and out, left and right
Tried 12V and Ground directly to the motor connector
Verified it is not touching the outer seal

None of this has changed anything.

Could it just be the motors are weak? Seems weird it is just the passenger side :(

Thanks again everyone!
Jim

Xcudame

Reaction score
It does require more torque from the motor to raise a window than lower it. So if they're aren't new motors, it might be worth a try to replace them. Unfortunately, most of the aftermarket motors are made in China and are crap! Maybe someone can chime in with a good motor they've had success with.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Additionally, the motors themselves respond well to a good old bench top cleaning. The old original grease gets hard and caked up in areas inside the drive head where it no longer lubricates.
I have lots of experience with these being an Imperial enthusiast.

EW1BH27

Reaction score
Are the motors left & right specific? If not I'd swap the good side to the bad side and see if the problem stays the same. Not owning a PW car I don't know if that's possible.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Are the motors left & right specific? If not I'd swap the good side to the bad side and see if the problem stays the same. Not owning a PW car I don't know if that's possible.
Yes there are lefts and rights, they do not interchange.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
The same motors were used in all models from 1967 all the way into the late ‘70s at least though so they aren’t difficult to find If a thorough cleaning of the motors themselves doesn’t improve their operation.
I’m certain it will though, these things are frequently brought back from not moving at all to working like new after a good cleaning of the motor and the drive head.

Xcudame

Reaction score
I agree with DetMatt1, try cleaning/fixing the motors you have as they're better than the after market ones for certain. You would be surprised what a little TLC can do for DC motors.

Back