• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1971 rear bumper urethane filler?

mbolin05

Reaction score
I have two cars..both are 73's. One of them I am installing a 71 tail panel and bumper in and I have a question. On the 73's there is a urethane trim panel that fits up under the rear quarter corners, and across the top of the rear bumper, covering that spot between the bottom of the tail panel and the rear crossmember. Did they use this trim in 70/71? I cant find it listed anywhere.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Chryco is correct, but 70 Challengers only had a metal filler panel that screws in below the tail light panel. 71 Challengers tail lite cover panel flaired out, deleting the need for the filler.
I ordered one for my 70 from AMD $59.99
Part number 975-2570
Bumper Fillers | AMD 975-2570

1619362750382.png

Last edited:

ZippyZoo

Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture of this filler panel mounted and/or dimensions to mount it?
The reason I ask, my '71 Challenger was rear-ended in '72. Minor damage, dented the bumper, trunk lid. I had the local dealer repair it (big mistake). Fast forward to now, the car was disassembled and media blasted for restoration. There are no tell-tale signs that there ever was the filler panel mounted there. I don't doubt that the dealer was too lazy to replace or reinstall it, but there are no apparent holes that have been filled in or other evidence that one ever lived there.
To add more confusion, I have read a debate on a related forum that '71s may not have had this filler panel since the bottom of the tail-light panel flares rearward toward the bumper........????
Anyway, I trust the experts on this site immensely......
If someone can share pixs or installation dimensions, that would be a great help. Also, what type of screws are used to install the filler panel?
Thanks to all. Your help is much appreciated.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Info; Thanks to challenger6pak
The 71 does not have the rear filler panel, so no holes. That is 70 only. The rear tail light housing in 71 flared at the bottom to form a bumper filler.

1619382551282.png

Last edited:

Adam

Reaction score
Sorry, I forget to mention mine is a barracuda
My old 70 Cuda did not have any filler panel/piece between the rear bumper and tail panel; the bumper tucks under the tail panel. Front end, different story...

Back