• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1973 cuda 340 4 barrel all original no rust 36000 miles

nim

Reaction score
Hey, what would you do with this all original great shape, never in rain or snow 36000 mile 1973 cuda 340 4 barrel? I would like to get it way up in horsepower just for cruising and fun, no racing.

NoCar340

Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't even mess with something that original. But, since you asked, nitrous is quick and easy. 😆

Seriously, if it's that original I'd probably leave it alone. However, if you're intent on hot-rodding it I'd suggest removing the original 340 and transmission and storing them along with the OE exhaust if it's still present. Find a cheap junkyard 360 and do the usual: compression, cam, carb. Headers, free-flowing dual exhaust and a 3.91 or 4.10 gear would round it out nicely, assuming you don't do much highway driving. If you do, I'd suggest something more along the lines of a 3.55, which the car may already have.

Don't set yourself up to grenade your numbers drivetrain. It'll break your heart and ding your value.

Welcome to the board! Have fun, both on the site and with your car.

Cojohnso

Reaction score
Hey, what would you do with this all original great shape, never in rain or snow 36000 mile 1973 cuda 340 4 barrel? I would like to get it way up in horsepower just for cruising and fun, no racing.
The safest is to build a separate motor. And keep the original 340 wrapped and tight. A classic 408 stroker? With a rear gear upgrade will give to the street thrill I think you are hoping?

nim

Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't even mess with something that original. But, since you asked, nitrous is quick and easy. 😆

Seriously, if it's that original I'd probably leave it alone. However, if you're intent on hot-rodding it I'd suggest removing the original 340 and transmission and storing them along with the OE exhaust if it's still present. Find a cheap junkyard 360 and do the usual: compression, cam, carb. Headers, free-flowing dual exhaust and a 3.91 or 4.10 gear would round it out nicely, assuming you don't do much highway driving. If you do, I'd suggest something more along the lines of a 3.55, which the car may already have.

Don't set yourself up to grenade your numbers drivetrain. It'll break your heart and ding your value.

Welcome to the board! Have fun, both on the site and with your car.
Thanks for your thoughts!

nim

Reaction score
The safest is to build a separate motor. And keep the original 340 wrapped and tight. A classic 408 stroker? With a rear gear upgrade will give to the street thrill I think you are hoping?
that sounds about what I may do, no permanent modifications!

fasjac

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Arkansas! I agree, keep the original motor in the corner and build a 408. Lots of torque and fun for the street... or track should choose.

moparker

Reaction score
I will trade you my Duster for ii. Its already hopped up. Leave it stock. Get something else.

oldkimmer

Reaction score
Welcome. U can buy a BluePrint 408 for decent money. Talk to Jonny Mac. Kim

Cojohnso

Reaction score
How come some 73's have them God awful bumper guards. And some don't? Or did folks just replace with a 71 style bumper? I noticed many liked the using the '71 style grill?

1972CudaV21

Reaction score
How come some 73's have them God awful bumper guards. And some don't? Or did folks just replace with a 71 style bumper? I noticed many liked the using the '71 style grill?
The Feds mandated 5 M.P.H. bumpers for the model year 1973. Instead of remodeling the car, they just adapted by using big chunks of metal & plastic..😀

Cojohnso

Reaction score
The Feds mandated 5 M.P.H. bumpers for the model year 1973. Instead of remodeling the car, they just adapted by using big chunks of metal & plastic..😀
I remember. Or should I say? I remember the commercials. Bumpers that would give a little at very slow speed impacts. That was Plymouth's solution? Oh for God's sake! I'm sure that has been the topic of discussion here on e-bodies.

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Welcome !
I agree with building a 408 using a 360 block , put a shift kit in the trans if it si an auto & keep the original engine untouched .

Back