• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

3" leaf spring relocation kit

73 kooda

Reaction score
Has anyone installed one of these kits by PST? If so how wide of a tire / rim combo are you now running, and are there any adverse effects from the kits?

Thanks guys and happy new year!

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
most 3" kits notch the front mount into the frame rail this allows the full wheel tub to be used , which helps but by mini tubbing the car you can fit more tire up to the spring

73 kooda

Reaction score
Notching the frame makes sense..I wondered where it mounted at..my wells Are completely rusted and gotta be redone...choices????...thanks for the info...

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
.I wondered where it mounted at..
What was "it" ??
if the tubs need replacing you can expand the tubs so they are flush with the frame rails , you just need to add a strip in the center of the tub to fill the gap

73 kooda

Reaction score
"it" was the front shackle bracket... But what your saying makes sense..i gotta check and see which is closer to the out side edge..the leaf spring or the tub?...ill check in a few minutes

73 kooda

Reaction score
Ok i just looked. I got like 3 inches of room from the tire to the wheel well. And about 1 1/2 inch to leaf spring from the wheel. So i probably should move the leaf springs if i wanna run bigger. maybe I'll just take it to the tire store and see what fits before i do all thatwork if i dont have to. I really would be happy to run about 275 's to 295's.

T

torsionbar

If you don't need a lot more room, go with the spring relocation kit. I used the MP parts that consists of offset front hangars and offset rear shackles on a Challenger back in the '90s.
Instead of relocating my spring perches I used a '70 B body housing and axles. The perches were close enough to work, and going to a narrower housing gave me even more room to the outside. One caution, the MP parts were designed around the Super Stock springs, which have a shorter front segment. There may be an aftermarket front hangar that would work with your 22" stock springs. Also, with the B body housing you don't have to move the perches which lets you try it out before cutting and welding anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

73 kooda

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info.. What are the differences between The mopar competition leaf springs summit sells, the staggered heavy duty ones, and are hotchkis any better...I know theyre 500 for a sst of hots, versus 109 ea. for the mopars....nothing cooler than when a mopar launches and the rear end stands up!!!...wow

burntorange70

Reaction score
Well. HD springs are good for a street car. They will be just a little stiffer than stock ones and are good all round springs. Mopar SS springs were made for drag racing and are set up on the stiff side. You have a few different ones to pick from but the 002/003 are the ones most prefer. Thats what I run on my Dart. The Hotchkis springs are more of a road race handling in the twistys spring. What one you go with depends on what you want out of your car and how you want it to ride.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The Mopar HD springs are terrible now , they sag quickly , definatly better choices available
Doctor Diff in Mt has all kinds of offset hangers & shackles available.
no way you should have to move the springs 3" to fit a 295 , 1" would do it , you should be able to run a 315 or bigger with a 3" relocation

Last edited:

moparleo

Reaction score
It all depends on the offset of the wheel. If you get the correct backspacing on your wheels, you don't have to modify anything. Go to the local wheel store and have them do the measuring for you.

Last edited:

73 kooda

Reaction score
I saw a car in mopar action or muscle that had like 6 or eight inches of backspace, and a 295 rear i think. So i might look at that route

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I have a 295 50 tire on my car & it is close inside & outside , they are on stock 15 x 8 ralleys , I would recommend moving the spring inboard 1" & moving the rim offset in 1/2 , this would give adequate clearance on both sides , Doctor Diff has the 1" offset mounts

stickmantoo

Reaction score
im going to do the 3in spring relocation on a 70 challenger however there would seem to be nothing to mount rear shackles to. any ideas would be appreciated

moparleo

Reaction score
A lot of these questioned would be answered if you were to contact the people that sell these kits. Better yet , contact the companies that make these kits. They all have departments to answer these questons and their info will be current. Remember companies are always doing R & D to imrove their products and the info you get from someone in an email might be from an experience 1,2 or 3 years ago and may not be current. Also as we all know because we have all done it ourselves , some peolpe don't read the instructions and then blame the product. When doing suspension work of any kind , you must realize that anything you do will have compromises. We are driving street cars, not race cars. Drag/road race cars use totally different suspension set-ups and don't worry about things like dips, pot holes or off camber corners. Decide what you really want before you spend your money.
Isn't it funny how most of the advice is based on " one of my buddy's did this ..."

ragtopdodge

Reaction score
http://www.doctordiff.com/?page_id=41

DoctorDiff Challenger 1 1/2″ offset spring hanger/shackle kit for standard springs $175

DoctorDiff E-body 1″ offset spring hanger/shackle kit for Superstock springs. Can be used to bolt B-body rearend into E-body with no modifications $185

DoctorDiff E-body 1″ offset spring hanger/shackle kit for standard springs. Can be used to bolt B-body rearend into E-body with no modifications $175

All will require re-welding of the spring perches on the axle tubes, except the last one if using a 66-70 b-body rear.

When the leafs are re-located, then measure the current backspace of your wheel and go from there how much more you can go towards the spring and if a tire is one, how much more you can go to the fender.

I wouldn't bother doing a 3" axle re-location unless you plan on tubbing your car.

W/the above kits, you should be able to fit a 295 tire on a 10' wide rim. Backspacing is usually 6" w/the stock e-body rear, 5" w/a b-body rear.

ScatCuda

Reaction score
On my CUDA......An HONEST 811RWHP On a 300 shot.....I am moving springs in for a 15X10 with a 6.25 rwsp...325/55/15 drag radial (28.5 tall) ..Do I use a Magnum 3'' kit or a DR.Diff kit?????? I will NOT BE MINI TUBING =)

Back