• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

340,360, or genIII 5.7?

slick340

Reaction score
I have a 72 340 cuda, 4 spd car 3.55 gears. It has numbers matching engine and 4 spd. I need to do something with it,The 340 has been bored 30 and has flat top cast pistons in it. I had a set of heads done a year ago, J heads with bigger valves and had some port work done on them,dual plane intake and holley 4150hp carb, msd digital 6 ignition. Have a 360 sitting in the shed. I would like to get 425hp and put 150 shot on it. Since the car is a 4spd I'm not sure how nitrous will work, would like to keep the 340 in it but don't want to destroy it. I have been thinking about putting the 5.7 in it but not sure how well it will fit. I know I can use the original K-member but it is a tight fit.I have more talent than facilities so would like some advice, I have about $5K to spend. Also would it be better to run an automatic with nitrous, does anyone make a 4spd auto to bolt up to my 340 or 360?
Any advice or thought would be greatly apreciated.

73 kooda

Reaction score
Two words... Turbo charger... I'm kinda biased towards them...they're doing crazy HP on small blocks as long as you don't run alot of boost... this way you can keep the original 340, and easily go back to stock if you want...There's a lot of small stuff needed to convert over to the hemi .. But that'll suck up your entire budget and maybe have a few more noticeable ponies under you... You can get your turbo kit for I think around 3500 and have about 100 -125 more ponies .... I hear long as you run boost around 8. You should be fine...just research some kits...turbonetics makes a clean product... and you can hide all the tubing and turbo underneath so noone knows what you got when you pop the hood...just my 2 cents...

73 kooda

Reaction score
I'm sure kiesler makes something or Try tremtec...my buddy's got a 67 camaro ( I tell him you can buy them at walmart now...haha)...with. a Tko 5 speed and it is pretty awesome...

slick340

Reaction score
I would love to, problem is this car needs restoring. It's going to be tight getting this one done let alone another car.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I would leave the numbers matching 340 Cuda alone. Light modifications maybe, but that is it. You can find good A-bodies around. They are light and fast with the small block. Prices are good also. My buddy bought a 72 Demon with a little rust on it for $700 the other day. It was a 6 cyl car. The previous owner changed the K-frame to V-8 and lost interest in the project.

Back