• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

340 Oilpan removal

brasil

Reaction score
Hello Guys....

I need to remove my oilpan...because the gasket leaks a bit...and the Germany TUEV don´t like oil dripping to the ground....

My engine is a 340... and I am not sure, if the pan can be removed without Problems..because the motormounts are very very close to the panrail..

Also the 90 deg Adapter from the Oilfilter is leaking... to renew the gasket, I only have to remove the screw that goes through the Adapter... and the part will come off... right ?

Thank you for some advise

Greetings Juergen

Adam

Reaction score
Motor mounts are not a problem, but I think the pan will hit the K-frame and the crank will prevent it from moving rearward for removal; however, the pan will drop far enough to install a new gasket. Do not over tighten the bolts as this will deform the pan rail and cause leaks.

Yes, the oil filter adapter is held in with the center bolt. Get quality gaskets and use a sealer.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
You also might consider taking a hammer and dolly to the pan around the bolt holes to flatten them back out. If they've been over tightened in the past they could be distorted and that'll make it harder to seal the pan to the block.

moparleo

Reaction score
I don't know what parts are available to you there, but the best oil pan gasket is the steel reinforced rubber pan gasket. It cannot be over tightened so it will eliminate most leaks and can be used over again.

brasil

Reaction score
I removed the oil pan today..... was a pain in the a.. ! The left motormount was to Close to the pan...so I removed the right motormount... and pulled the pan out...... ( o,k, the startermotor, the Center link etc. had to be removed also....

Reinstalled. the the pan with REINZOSIL ( from Victor Reinz ) and a Fel Pro Gasket... Hope I didn´t overtight the gasket... because the Manual sayed 22 NM so I used 18 NM ...but on two Locations the gasket was pressed out a Little...

Tomorrow I will start the engine..and hopefully the gasket will be sealed ... and yes I ordered a good gasket kit for the 90 deg. Adapter...will arrive tomorrow by noon..

Greetings Juergen

brasil

Reaction score
Everything is o.k. now....no more oil leaks.... Perfect!

Greetings Juergen

Back