• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

383 intermediate shaft wear

mike kohlenberg

Reaction score
have a 383 with 1000 mile & intermediate gear worn thin & broke. steel gear & metal shaving.
engine builder just wants to change gear ,oil ,filter then start up & drive.
should I rebuild engine completely or do engine builder - rebuild?
70 rt conv

MarkLevi

Reaction score
By "Intermediate gear", - you mean the gear on the oil pump drive "intermediate shaft" that meshes with the gear on the camshaft? (not a gear-drive timing set's intermediate gears)

Some cams recommend a bronze gear only - but I doubt that's your problem. At a 1,000 mile failure, you've got a part mismatch, or defective part quality, or and oiling/oil pump problem? Something. I'd certainly be looking deeper. Maybe the oil pump was started "dry", got galled and is at a "near seize" condition?

As far as metal shavings, I (personally) would at least disassemble and clean; check the bearings, rings, cylinders... stuff like that. I don't think I'd trust that the oil filter caught everything... I wouldn't call it a "rebuild" unless wear or damage is found that has to be rebuilt to be corrected. Just thoroughly clean block/parts/all oil passages, re-check all sizes/clearances, re-assembly-lube ("vaseline" [or, whatever] the oil pump or pre-prime)...and try again.

MO-FWIW
Mark

Back