• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

383 rebuild for a 72 challenger.

BoomerSoonerVA

Reaction score
So I'm rebuilding the engine. I need new pistons, valves. It is a std bore. I'm looking at changing the Pistons, valves and Cam. What should I go with to get the most horse power?

aussiemark

Reaction score
IF you are on a tight budget you may be able to reuse the inlet valves 9/10 times they will be ok, measure the stems make 0.002"your wear limit. Have a shop K-line any worn valve guides, cut and vac test all the seats and face the heads if they are warped or you want smaller chambers. Try and match the cam with the rest of the engine if it is basically stock don't go too big, always better a bit small then a bit big. Take your new pistons with the block when you have the block bored over size that way the machinist can measure the pistons and bore the block more precisely. If you want to be real fussy get hold of a torque plate and have this bolted on while it is machined. If it is going to be driven normally cast pistons will be fine. If you want more power and have more money maybe a stroker kit and better heads.

moparleo

Reaction score
The engine is obviously from another car so you need to verify the year of the engine and whether it was a 2bbl or a 4bbl engine new. This will help you with the size, type of heads you have, the type of crankshaft etc... I assume that you are going with a new carb, intake and headers as well as the internals. You should do some research besides just asking what do we think will make the most hp. Instead of a hundred different ideas, read as many legitimate sources as you can, no you tube stuff. Look online at the tech articles from the major Mopar magazines over the years. They have a lot of proven info to go by.

BoomerSoonerVA

Reaction score
The engine is obviously from another car so you need to verify the year of the engine and whether it was a 2bbl or a 4bbl engine new. This will help you with the size, type of heads you have, the type of crankshaft etc... I assume that you are going with a new carb, intake and headers as well as the internals. You should do some research besides just asking what do we think will make the most hp. Instead of a hundred different ideas, read as many legitimate sources as you can, no you tube stuff. Look online at the tech articles from the major Mopar magazines over the years. They have a lot of proven info to go by.

I do have all those articles just getting ideas from several sources. As far as a budget I want to spend a lot but don't want to go cheap. I am more looking for brands of Pistons and cams and so on people use and like.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Do you have an engine builder? If you do, hopefully he's not a stranger to Mopar and he can advise you. I tell my engine guy what I'm looking for performance-wise and let him take it from there.

IQ52

Reaction score
So I'm rebuilding the engine. I need new pistons, valves. It is a std bore. I'm looking at changing the Pistons, valves and Cam. What should I go with to get the most horse power?

The most horsepower for what purpose? How is the car set up?

moper

Reaction score
450-500hp is a big goal for a 383 on a budget. Is there a reason for that number, or is it something you feel is appropriate? What's the highest horsepower car you've ever driven?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Hehehe, I'm so glad I grew out of that! Give me what they had when they left the factory and I'm good.

moper

Reaction score
I don;t mind factory stock horsepower - as long as it's in something that weighs 500lbs. :D

Yatzee

Reaction score
I rebuilt my 383, what a difference. They rev like a small block and have power like a
much bigger engine. I used TRW pistons and rods - my son used Diamond's in his
512 stroker. I installed a Lunati cam and lifters - I personally favor " Made in USA"
over " Made in China". The heads are Edelbrock performers attached to a pair of
TTI headers. It's interesting to note that when you remove the stock manifolds, the
coolant comes spewing out because the the threaded holes for the manifolds go
right into the cooling jacket - what a pain in the ass. Pay attention to the timing
set and don't buy a "household" brand. The first set (Comp) stretched like there
was no tomorrow so I purchased a Romac set. Check them out. Now my timing
never drifts. Rollmaster makes a pretty good set as well. Both these companies
install complete rollers on the chain studs when manufactured unlike some that
use a seamed/folded roller. For ignition hardware, MSD is as good as they come
Their new series of electronic distributors do not use weights or advance pots
and come with pre-stored advance curves for all types of driving - 14 in all.
My dyno HP ended up at 422.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
WHy not throw a 440 source stroker kit into it , new crank rods pistons brgs & rings all balanced for around 2 K + you machine work for the short block , I would use the 438 CI kit & not go into a race engine with extremely short pistons .
Personally I tend to use Lunati cams but there are 100s of choices depending what type & power band you want .

Back