• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

545rfe trans

cudadanz

Reaction score
How much work is it to put one i an e body. Behind a 5.7.i posted this on a few other sites with no luck.. I dont mind if i have to do a lil fab work to the tunnel. Just wasnt sure if it was worth it. Or just go with a A500/A518 instead. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Ray

Reaction score
How much work is it to put one i an e body. Behind a 5.7.i posted this on a few other sites with no luck.. I dont mind if i have to do a lil fab work to the tunnel. Just wasnt sure if it was worth it. Or just go with a A500/A518 instead. Any help would be greatly appreciated

The nag1 fit in my 73 with just a few taps here and there with a hammer to clear the fill tube.

Considering how much larger the 545 is I would think major mod. Work.

cudadanz

Reaction score
I just found an a500 non lock up im gonna go with. Saw a few guys running it behind the 5.7 with no issues,

pilotusmc

Reaction score
i went with the 545....tunnel mods were hard but not impossible for a shade tree welder to do,,,,,,I actually cut part of a tunnel out of a 1965 pontiac tempist I had left over as a parts car on a GTO restoration..it worked good

hpjunke

Reaction score

Pretty much like this . I cut a little more but it's gonna fit pretty good here soon . This is behind a 6.1 that I'm doing on my challenger

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

scar426

Reaction score
What are you using for a shifter?
For my restomods, I used Lokar's shifter for a 45rfe (doesn't matter you have a 545rfe, the extra gear is electronic basically, transmissions are the same). If you want to retain the "side-shift" capability of the transmission, that's a bit more involved. Kilduff Machine makes some cool shifters that will work, but there is extra "stuff" i.e. harness and programming required to make it work, depending on which harness you are using.

Rob C

Reaction score
Nice work!

If you can get everything from the donor car, weld metal, your in.
I just found an a500 non lock up im gonna go with. Saw a few guys running it behind the 5.7 with no issues,
This is the easiest way to an OD transmission & extended cruising range with lower rpm’s.

70ch

Reaction score
Can you ise a factory 6 speed stick transmission in a 74 challenger? Do they mske a internal shifter for them? Or is it too long to long? Thanks

tazzymoto

Reaction score
Finally got my trans tunnel figured out . Turned out good for my first sheet metal fab job.

IMG_20221107_154812489.jpg

IMG_20221106_165329860.jpg

IMG_20221107_164830489.jpg

Back