• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

6 pack set up

ronscuda

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a 6 pack carb guy in Michigan within an hr or so from Detroit?? I have a problem when my car is under load that it does not idle well, but if I just apply the tiniest amount of pressure to the gas pedal ( almost just resting my foot on it) it seems to be able to idle just fine. If it is in park it can idle all day no problem once it warms up and if i turn it off and restart it within 45 min or an hr i can do it with just the key i do not usually have to press on the gas pedal.So my thought is that a little bit of pressure is changing my air fuel ratio?? I have noticed that if I have to brake hard that it bogs a little but not to where it stalls so I guess that could be a vacuum issue? Any info is appreciated, sry for what is probably basic problems I just do not have a lot of mechanical experience and I am trying to learn as I go

74 challenger

Reaction score
So I take that your car is a automatic ,what is your rpms set at idle? Could your choke be getting hung up not all the way open? How does the car run if you disconnect the outboards? Just trying to narrow it down.

ronscuda

Reaction score
At idle i think it is about 800 or 900. I will research how to tell if my choke is getting hung up because I do not know how to tell. I have never disconnected the outboards but It runs fine, it is very responsive when I hit the pedal very rarely does it hesitate or it's hesitation is not very noticeable if it has any it's only when I am in gear at at a light that it starts to try to drop to about 500 and if it gets that low it will start to stall, if I keep it about 600 it holds its idle pretty good but for me to keep it around 600 I have to have a very small amount of pressure on the gas

ronscuda

Reaction score
I do not have the top plate on top of my center carb has never been there since I have had it. I know that is a choke plate but the two plates on the bottom seem to close fully when I let off of the throttle image.jpg

image.jpg

74 challenger

Reaction score
sounds like it could be a vacuum leak. Spray carb cleaner around the carbs when its idling and see if it makes your rpm change. Not in the carbs but around the base. Check your hoses also.

74 challenger

Reaction score
also check the vacuum hose on the back of your intake if you have one there.I had one there on my set up.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
this could be a lot of things , what cam is in the engine / what vacuum are you making at idle , possibly wrong power valve . if the vacuum is low a small piece of wire inserted in the idle air bleeds could clean it up as well , it could even be the mech advance in the dist having too light springs in there . What happen if you turn up the idle speed 50 RPM ?

Adrian Worman

Reaction score
It could be as simple as float level too high, especially likely if it nearly dies when you have to brake to a stop in traffic.
A vac leak will cause an erratic idle and probably hesitation or stumbling when the pedal is floored. If it drives as good as you say under power then I'd suggest its in pretty good shape, every six pack car I've ever driven has always had that magical 'wait and woosh!'

ronscuda

Reaction score
Yeah I guess that it has a leak, when I sprayed carb cleaner around the base of my center carb the rpm's went up a little, hoses seem to be fine.

ronscuda

Reaction score
I should have mentioned that my trans is going, I have been doing some reading and I guess it could be my stall converter. In first gear it would only crawl at like 15mph until it got about 3000 rpm and then it would react after that. Right now I only have 1st till about 20 mph and then third, second not really workin well. Plan on taking it down to Indiana to get it rebuilt. Could it be the trans??

Adrian Worman

Reaction score
Well the faulty tranny won't help you see if its running better if its that hard to drive, having said that there must be an air leak for the car to respond to carb cleaner being sprayed around the carb base. Can you try spraying it directly at the butterfly spindle on either side? If the carbs are very worn its possible air is being drawn thru the loose spindles, centre carb will show this as a fault earlier than the outboards simply cos it gets used more.
Let us know how you get on please :)

Back