• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Challenger R/T paint ?

69HemiBee

Reaction score
I am a b body guy but have a question. On a 70 Challenger R/T should the tail light panel be blacked out? Have seen them both ways on both restored cars and ads from the day.

aussiemark

Reaction score
I think the R/T had the tail light panel blacked out, maybe the bumble bee stripe delete cars were not? and the R/TSE wold have had the aluminium panel covering that area? someone on here will know for sure. With the ads they may have used pre production cars so some details may not be the same as the production cars like the 1970 Cuda with the hockey stick stripe tip extending to the rear marker light rather then the body side line and the body coloured shaker scoop vent grilles.

EV2RTSE

Reaction score
I am a b body guy but have a question. On a 70 Challenger R/T should the tail light panel be blacked out? Have seen them both ways on both restored cars and ads from the day.
Tail panel blackout was only done on the T/A. Never on the R/T.

aussiemark

Reaction score
I disagree the only ones that don't have it blacked out are some of the cars with side stripes, stripe delete or R/TSE cars because they have the SE trim, I have seen it so many times on original unrestored cars but someone with more knowledge will confirm.

hemix

Reaction score
r/t's were body color, ta's were blackout, and se's/rt were argent !

reborn73

Reaction score
What about '73? My avatar is a partial picture. The middle section where "DODGE" is located is black. Is this correct?

rolling_thunder

Reaction score
What about '73? My avatar is a partial picture. The middle section where "DODGE" is located is black. Is this correct?

Reborn - from what I understand in 1973 the base model Challenger had a black tail panel with silver inside the taillight pockets --- the Rallye model had it reversed with argent tail panel and black pockets

Back