• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 challenger -- Removing 4 speed hurst pistol grip handle????

jimclo2002

Reaction score
Is there a trick on removing the hurst 4 speed handle so I can rechome it. Here are some photos of what I have

thanks for the help in advance shifter.jpgshifter3.jpg

shifter.jpg

shifter3.jpg

Reaction score
Is there a trick on removing the hurst 4 speed handle so I can rechome it.

Yep! Slide a feeler gauge down each side of the handle, between the handle and mechanism. Once they're down as far as they'll go (at least half way even on a long feeler gauge) the handle should pull out. It's easier to do with the handle attached to the transmission, otherwise you might have to clamp the shifter in something.

If the handle has been in there forever, it may take some extra motivation.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Challengerblue is correct but I think just the drivers side with the feeler gauge will do it.

Moparparts

Reaction score
As CP mentioned start with some lube. Go down on the drivers side as Matt mentioned but do it off to the side of center with your feeler gauge or other piece of thin hardened steel and then once you are down angle toward the center and pull it up part way to release the center tab inside the mechanism. This will release the tab that is in the stainless retainer inside and you will be able to pull the handle up out. What happens many times when you go down through the center from the top with the feeler gauge it catches the release tab instead of releasing it and starts to bend it around which creates a real problem then as it will not release to get it out. I just went through this with mine that was previously worked on which had the tab bent over and would not release. There is a small edge at the base of the chrome handle on both sides right at the top of the mechanism which also can assist with getting the handle out if you pry on that edge of the handle with a small pry bar against the top of the mechanism to assist in removal

jimclo2002

Reaction score
thanks everyone I got it out. Now I have to find a good cheat rehome shop to have the pistol grip rehomed

DetMatt1

Reaction score
You may find it cheaper to just buy a new one from Gunslinger and hang the original on the wall in the garage.

Back