• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

`70 FK5 A66 Resurection

crocha617

Reaction score
I just picked up almost the exact same car a few weeks ago. 1970 340 auto A66 Challenger FK5 ext/FK5 int with Black vinyl top & AC. Mine is also matching numbers. I bought it from a guy that owned it 30 years. He rebuilt & painted the engine, redid the seats and bought a boat load of new parts for it already. He had a guy doing the body work but the quarters & drop offs were done poorly & I have them off now and am redoing them. The frame rails and floors were perfect. The cowl has a small rot spot above the master cylinder but other than that it is pretty solid. I also have a perfect build sheet for mine.

Last edited:

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. I would love to see it post up some pics. LA or detroit car? Build date?

crocha617

Reaction score
A66

Thanks I've been lurking for awhile. The car is a detroit car I will find out the build date tomorrow. I can't remember off the top of my head. I remember seeing yours for sale awhile back and I kept going back to it but I knew it was too much of a project for me. It's ironic I ended up with the identical car. I'll get some pics up later in the week.

oldcarnut

Reaction score
hi detmatt , nice project youve got there , pretty amazing that the original motor was still there , not sure what you will be running for wheels when the time comes , ive got 4 original 15x7 ralley rims , if your interested shoot me a pm & id be happy to send pics & price your way . im over on the abody (same name)site mostly , got rid if my 74 barracuda & the rims arent doing me any good for my latest project. glad to see you rescued the challenger.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Thanks I've been lurking for awhile. The car is a detroit car I will find out the build date tomorrow. I can't remember off the top of my head. I remember seeing yours for sale awhile back and I kept going back to it but I knew it was too much of a project for me. It's ironic I ended up with the identical car. I'll get some pics up later in the week.

I'll keep an eye open for it.

crocha617

Reaction score
Build date is 5/11/70. I will get some pics up this weekend. I also found mine is actually tail stripe delete. I didn't realize that before.

vegas70340

Reaction score
Engine was cast Aug 10,1969.The stamping is FW340P29510075.I believe it translate to being built Aug 26.The 0075 do not match the VIN of 114044.
If I read the numbers above the sequence #'s on the fender tag right,029568,the shipping order build date is Aug 31 and A22,Oct 22,is ship date.Please correct me if I am wrong.The car was built in Los angeles.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Engine was cast Aug 10,1969.The stamping is FW340P29510075.I believe it translate to being built Aug 26.The 0075 do not match the VIN of 114044.
If I read the numbers above the sequence #'s on the fender tag right,029568,the shipping order build date is Aug 31 and A22,Oct 22,is ship date.Please correct me if I am wrong.The car was built in Los angeles.

Just to clarify, you are looking at the #'s on the little machined surface just below the block drain plug on the passenger side, right? Here is what mine looks like.

IMG_5956_3.jpg

IMG_5380_2.jpg

vegas70340

Reaction score
Thank you DetMatt1,
Being the Mopar novice I am,I believed the person who came and looked at my car 18 years ago when I was selling it.He showed me the numbers on the front of the engine and told me it was not a numbers matching car.
The car is numbers matching.Yahoo.

vegas70340

Reaction score
The transmission is also numbered correctly.
Now I need to decide whether to restore the car to original or modify it a little:disc brakes,larger wheels/tires,better exhuast,Go-Wing,Black side stripe and stay with the Black interior that is in the car.Should be Orange.
Most modifications would be reversible and I could collect the factory pieces.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
DETMATT1,
Now that I think about it. I may remember this car from where it used to sit back in the late 80's early 90's. It sat in a driveway surrounded by many other older non-desirable cars. (4 door 60's Pontiac Catalina), (4 door AMC Matador), (Jeep Wagoner) & other more newer daily drivers in the Livonia area. I tried to buy it for years before it looked this rusty. The old gentlemen never wanted to talk cash & always just told me its not for sale. They put in a new city street & sub which ran thru the field next door & around behind his house. I would imagine the city made him clean up the yard/driveway since the new sub was going in.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Interesting 6PKRTSE, I was told that this car was located in the Richmond area for at least the past 30 years where it sat under a row of pines. Could have been a matching car running around the Detroit area back in the day.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Thought I would update this thread with some parts I have been scoring over the past 6 months. A correct early `70 ralley hood without the crumplezones, a nice pair of doors even though the originals are pretty solid, passenger fender, a burnt orange console(no pic) and most recently a nice bottom piece for the original grille along with yet another really nice JH grille! Ironically the hood, fender and doors are burnt orange!

IMG_5673_1.JPG

IMG_5674_2.jpg

IMG_5678_6.JPG

IMG_5684_12.JPG

IMG_5689_16.jpg

IMG_6461.JPG

IMG_6462.JPG

IMG_6463.JPG

IMG_6464.JPG

spoolinhard

Reaction score
NIce, I have two grills but neither bottom plates are worth a darn. I am envious

a68postcar

Reaction score
hey man, i'm just diggin the stuff i see sitting around the shop there!!

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I have no shortage of "stuff", I think the `66 Charger is sold. Picked it up a few weeks ago just to flip it and actually have had it a little longer then I thought I would. Kool car though. Once it does go I will probably start working on the A66.

Back