• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 six pac

dodgedream

Reaction score
I am looking at a 1970 challenger about to come up at an estate auction and would like to use your collective and vast knowledge. After contacting the auction house and asking they sent me photos of the rust . fenders are rusted thru, rockers need replaced, floor pan on drivers side rusted thru and with the water staining in the carpet i assume all floor plans are gone, the car was washed sitting in the lean to shed and has water s leaking into the back seat where they washed it and it is a vinyl top car that is gonna need the roof skin replaced. I could not see inside the trunk but assume the trunk area is no better. This car is a 318 car with a six pac engine aand hood and T/A badges installed. And to top it off the car came from 12 years of New York salt according to the title. I know the body is mostly rust in the shape of a beautiful car but what would it be worth for what is there? would the engine and hood bring anything now?is it worth me trying to buy it and save the parts i can ? or are the cars getting where even saving the car is a viable option? thanks in advance for all of your helpful input

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Pretty much every metal part you would need to repair the car is available.
If the hood is a real T/A hood and the motor checks out to be a real T/A motor and not just a six pak on top of a standard 340 then you could make some return money on that. T/A motors bring between 4K and 14K it seems and the hood, 2K to 4K depending on how condition.
Can you post the fender tag readout? That would help with an assessment of worth. It might be a parts car.
Does it retain it's broadcast sheet or any original documentation?
Got any pics to share?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Is the 5th letter in the vin a G or J ?
G is just a 318 car
J is a T/A with the engine replaced & is valuable .

dodgedream

Reaction score
That is what I figured I just didn’t know how valuable the engine and hood was but didn’t want to miss out and somebody pick it up for $500 because nobody around here likes dodge they are Chevy guys

Xcudame

Reaction score
Think of it this way, price of car plus half the value of parts you need to put into it is the net worth when it's done. Your labor, unfortunately, adds no value to the car. Need to make sure it's not a 318 with a six pack intake and carbs. And as Cuda Hunter mentioned, 340 six pack motors had a different beefier block than standard 340 blocks.

If you love sheet metal work and welding, you'll wind up with a nice 318 car cloned to be a T/A but won't be worth near what a true T/A car is. If you can get it real cheap, that will help.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Got any pictures to share yet?
I might be interested in the hood if it's a t/a hood. Or was it written that the hood has t/a badges on it?

So many questions.

dodgedream

Reaction score
Fenders have TA badges not the hood. No lettering at all on the hood just the scoops and looks to be Fiberglas but that remains to be seen

fasjac

Reaction score
I’d show up to the auction (with funds available) and see who’s really interested.
You may bring it home for less the parts mentioned. ? Good luck!

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
All the information above is good. My 2¢. Some nut JOB (pun there) that doesn't know better will pay 20k thinking it is a T/A.
Now as for myself I would look at it as a donor car as you described it. All the reusable parts glass trim and others unique to to 70 would ad value to the sale. The drive train would not have great value but some.
You said : "This car is a 318 car with a six pac engine aand hood and T/A badges installed"
I'm taking that it has a T/A hood. That itself and the 6 pak. is where the money is at. Someone that has a T/A and needs those parts will spend the money to get it to finish there 100k car. Then they will sell off the parts to recover some of there cost.
Pictures would help determine the in general value. Myself if it is all there every nut and bolt. With a original T/A hood, hinges and correct 6 pak. I would be ready to buy it at 5k. Those 2 items would be worth it to me. Then to have the parts to maybe to make a driver or sell off.
A few years back I could I could have bought this at the bargain price of 3500 and I was the only one to know of it.I think he sold it for more. I passed and he sold it. I had way to much going on. (3 houses in state of repair 2 garages sorting thought 5 cars on the road and oh yeah working 7 -13hs a day and a son in collage.) No problems here! Our lives were like the Money pit and The War of The Roses combined. 😁
70 SE 318 auto The parts on this car that are very sot after and hard to find.

If I brought this home no matter how much money I made. The pain and suffering my Angel Devil would put me through would not be worth it. The money was not issue.
1715260188776.jpeg

1715260534084.jpeg

1715261210998.jpeg

Last edited:

dodgedream

Reaction score
well I will give an update on the car now
1 estate auction in Alma .Arkansas
2 floor pans were gone
3 trunk was soft
4 lower quarters shot
5 roof was gone
6 i conuldn't confirm a TA block just a 340 block (header tube in the way)
7 sixpax was aftrmarket and stuck from sitting
8 TA hood was good and possibly original
9 with mice nests and soft trunk i expected trunk dropoffs and frame rails were suspect at best
10 VIN was drilled off of the dash ( if the new owner got the plate i dont know)
11 second grill cane with the car and some odds and ends (i didnt hang around to see what he got)
12 verified it was a 318 car with badges ( still had the 318 stickers under the hood)
13 wont disclose what he paid ( even though it was a public auction) but i hope he is on this site and has a build thread for the car because my estimate must have been WAY off on the value of the car
14 car was loaded immediately and headed to Fla

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
For posterity. JH23G0B401715

It appears the hood was clear coated and is now peeling? Or is that aftermarket fiberglass, white, showing through?

Apparently missing it's vin tag on the dash.
Unfortunate that left drivers side dash is kinda bungled up as it has no cracks in the middle as usual.

Water leaking in the rear window onto the interior seats.

More pictures here for those interested.

And here,

JH23G0B401715 a.jpeg

JH23G0B401715 b .jpeg

JH23G0B401715 c .jpeg

JH23G0B401715 d .jpeg

dodgedream

Reaction score
Looked like the clear coat was burned thru by years of sun but I am not very paint knowledgeable I can just say for sure it was Fiberglas. And the car showed well on photos til you got to it in person
As you can see in the photos

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. I can smell the mice through the pictures.
It does appear decent through the pictures until I enlarge them and really comb through the parts.

I'm assuming this car at auction went for about 10K.
I assume this price as there was a barracuda at an auction that had the M46 scoops that I search for, even though it wasn't a real M46 car , BH23C0B242313, and it was very very rusty and pretty beat and it went for 10K. I was very surprised.
M46 car at auction. in Cuda & Challenger General Discussion (ROSEVILLE MOPARTS)

Even though estate auctions are great places to buy several things at below cost I have had very poor results going to auctions for anything mopar. It seems at auctions that mopar stuff always goes for above cost.
JH23G0B401715 new owner was brought to Arkansas from Out of State by means of internet ads. That won't make a "deal" anytime, anywhere.

Since I mentioned the M46, I can't help but to link you to my M46 registry list.

and here, but not much response.

Back