• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

71 Challenger Bumper Doesn't Line Up With Brackets

R/T 71

Reaction score
The 71 Challenger is in a state of disassembly. I noticed that when I removed the front bumper, it was attached with only the outside bumper bolts. The inside brackets were nowhere near the bumper bolt holes. The brackets are correct for both sides. Anyone have an idea as to what might be amiss here? My first Mopar, so I might be overlooking something very obvious. It appears the whole car was basically cobbled together to get it "operational", so nothing will surprise me. Thanks.

R/T 71

Reaction score
Right side is about 1.5 inches off. Left side is about 3.5 inches off. Bracket spread is wider on the left.

IMG_20201017_115037204.jpg

IMG_20201017_115053542.jpg

fasjac

Reaction score
If you’re sure the brackets are correct, the next thing is to look at demission guide, do some measurements. Make sure nothing is bent/out of spec. 3.5 inches is quite a bit. JMO

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Looks like your brackets are damaged. Has the tip been welded back on? May have been in a crash.

R/T 71

Reaction score
After looking at a million or so pictures, I figured that the brackets were the problem. So I took them off and separated the two pieces. It took more than a few whacks with a ten pound sledge, but the offending inner bracket was massaged back into place. Because it was deformed from previous damage, I also had to extend the slot to move it aft and line it up with the rest of the system. All this was just on the driver side, the most out of shape side. Passenger side was only an inch out so it was easily bent into its correct place. Everything is close enough now that if things don't line up, I know what to do. I appreciate the looks from everyone - and your suggestions.

Back