• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

72 barracuda rear right brake not working, rear right hazard not working but...

cogaussie

Reaction score
72 barracuda rear right brake not working, rear right hazard not working but... Rear right signal is working. All the same globe but different filament.

I replaced signal cam.. Is this the problem? Swapped out globe/bulbs no fix.

cogaussie

Reaction score
I checked the signal cam and the it seems a little tab of plastic had broken off. so the contact wasn't in place. Would this be the reason for brake light failure?

see photo

md2142.jpg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Very well could be , all 3 use the same filiment in the bulb , & the same wire , the brake light is interupted by the signal so if the signal is working but the brake is not is has to be in the turn signal switch

cogaussie

Reaction score
Okay guys, Ordered a complete new signal switch from the states after the signal cam was faulty, should have learnt and not gone to the same ebay shop. Anyway. installed the new switch and as soon as I plug into factory loom/plug (had to modify female plug to accommodate new cheap chinese plug) the rear hazard lights start going, cannot turn off. Is there a problem with the new switch????

moparleo

Reaction score
Yes. Again, all rear brake, hazard and turn signal lights fed current through the turn signal cam. Must be precisely adjusted for all lights to work properly. Recheck connections and welcome to the world of electrical. My worst area of repair. But I have done this one before. Very tedious and no fun.

cogaussie

Reaction score
thanks Leo, I contacted the seller and he issued a refund, obviously he gets a few faulty. I could salvage the cancel cam off the new switch and the lights are all working fine apart from when right signal is engaged and brake is depressed... the brake light on left will not come on. I think the lights are working satisfactorily in order to get my road worthy certificate (RWC). I will order an OEM switch in the mean time and wait for it to come from the states. moparleo.. welcome to my world... I am an electrician! haha I think the secret to electrical with these cars is to spend the $$ on the OEM parts

jc

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I do not believe OEM still makes these , I bought the Standard part listed above & ordered the part from Mopar as well , the parts were identical so it seems Mopar is selling the Standard part but for 4x the price which Is why I suggested getting the standard part .

Back