• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

72 Challenger Rebuild

Challenger RTA

Reaction score

fasjac

Reaction score
I noticed this black spot on the bulkhead connector the other day and found out it was a melted area. I split the connector and you can see what I found. I'll be doing the connector bypass on the red from the starter relay and the black to the alternator. That's where I'm at now with this car.
TW

View attachment 102648

View attachment 102649
Not uncommon at all.

mrmopar340

Reaction score
The only parts I reused were the lower control arm assemblies, torsion bars, strut rods and center steering link. After I found the bent tie rod end, I decided to replace most of the parts including pivot shafts, UCAs and bushings and rotors and calipers and steering gear box.. I shopped around to get the best prices. I told my grandson it doesn't do any good to go if you can't steer and stop. It takes time to get 50 years old parts separated but it is all apart on the passenger's side now and going back together. Getting all the rust removed is a hassle. Best to get it all apart, see what you have and repair or replace. Getting the lower ball joints to separate was difficult and I ruined a pickle fork (ball joint separator tool) before adding some heat to help it separate. I decided to use a vinegar/ salt bath on the parts from this side vs sandblasting to see the difference. Here's a photo of the LCA after four days in the vinegar/ salt bath. I used a pad to scuff it up for paint. Once the pivot shaft and bushing are replaced (using a press), I'll paint and reinstall. I also added a photo of the spindle after the vinegar bath. There are alot of members on here very knowledgeable about suspension on e-bodies. Just ask your questions.

Terry W.

View attachment 118439

View attachment 118441
Getting ready to do the same. Only reusing Tbars, center link , pitman and LCA's. Mine was built in Dec 72 so it needs it.

terrywalker

Reaction score
Passenger side nearly done. I was bored last night and went out and installed rotor with new bearings, calipers and pads. It will be great. Before and after photos.
Terry W.

Psgr Brakes Steering 1.jpg

Psgr Suspension Brakes 2A.jpg

Last edited:

terrywalker

Reaction score
I've been slowed down a little on my project by my wife tackling a project in the house. She always hated the master bedroom closet in our house. She wanted a bigger one. One day, she was really bored and I asked her what she wanted to do. She mentioned moving the closet. She said she would do it herself but would need my help sometimes. I said okay. I also told her I would give the project a name: "Project Kirby". She asked why and I told he because I knew I would get "sucked" into the project. Sure enough. Well, Project Kirby is coming along and I have slowed down but not stopped on my car project. Working on the engine bay and under dash electrical harnesses again. Time consuming but necessary. All is good. I have to repair the roof of our RV trailer when the weather gets really nice. Water damage causing plywood separation, which is what I get for not covering it up the last two winters. Oh well. That will take a few days. I learned my lesson on that.
Terry W.

moparlee

Reaction score
I've been slowed down a little on my project by my wife tackling a project in the house. She always hated the master bedroom closet in our house. She wanted a bigger one. One day, she was really bored and I asked her what she wanted to do. She mentioned moving the closet. She said she would do it herself but would need my help sometimes. I said okay. I also told her I would give the project a name: "Project Kirby". She asked why and I told he because I knew I would get "sucked" into the project. Sure enough. Well, Project Kirby is coming along and I have slowed down but not stopped on my car project. Working on the engine bay and under dash electrical harnesses again. Time consuming but necessary. All is good. I have to repair the roof of our RV trailer when the weather gets really nice. Water damage causing plywood separation, which is what I get for not covering it up the last two winters. Oh well. That will take a few days. I learned my lesson on that.
Terry W.
I think we all understand what you are saying and know where the real priorities are.:)

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
terrywalker said: "I've been slowed down a little on my project by my wife" Wife the operative word.What a power phase!
:rofl::rofl::rofl:Mid 80's funny thing the first house she wanted the closet moved and bigger.
She said I did such a good job here's a list. We don't have to pay anyone for the work. Well that list turned into an encyclopedia. Three houses and two garages later. We know how you feel,:rolleyes::oops::(o_O Never mind what you wanted to do.

Mike73Dodge

Reaction score
I didn't even start my car project until I was done with all the house remodel. Maybe that's why it sat in the garage for 25 years? Probably not the only reason.

Back