• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

72 Cuda door panel removel

mistreta

Reaction score
I talked to a local Moparts guy, he recommended two sites for good used regulator. One was Steven performance, and another was Mopar city.

EW1BH27

Reaction score
Is the glass properly attached to the horizontal track? I’ve had the front bolt fall out making it impossible to roll up.

mistreta

Reaction score
I noticed this in the front lower glass, is that part supposed to be in a track?

IMG_6947.JPG

mistreta

Reaction score
I found a used original regulator. It is correct that the Cuda and challenger are the same, looking at the diagram above.

EW1BH27

Reaction score
I don’t believe Cuda And Challenger are the same. IIRC, the shaft that the window crank goes on is longer on the Challenger because the door panel bulges out in that area.

If I’m wrong I welcome to be corrected.

mistreta

Reaction score
All the sites that have the regulators say Cuda, Barracuda, no mention will work on Challengers.

Xcudame

Reaction score
EW1BH27, having both a 70 Challenger and a 71 Barracuda, you are correct. There's a 70 Challenger only regulator, 71 to 74 Challenger regulator. And there's a 70 Barracuda only regulator and a 71 to 74 Barracuda regulator. The 70's both have larger driven gears than the 71 to 74 driven gears. And the Challenger has a longer crank arm than the Barracudas becauseof the difference in the panels. I believe the 70s can use the 71 to 74 regulator. On my Challenger I've noticed all of the driven gear doesn't get used. Probably was copied from the B-Bodies and then they realized the gear could be smaller and save some money. Also, this all makes sense because the aftermarket power window regulators say they work on all 70 to 74 E-Bodies (doesn't need the shaft for the manual hand crack).

EW1BH27

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. I did know the “70 only” thing too. With the Challenger regulator crank shafts exiting the upper square opening it’s impossible to make a ‘70 Challenger reg work in a ‘71+ door too. Those extra unused teeth bind in the early model door stampings. That’s the only quirk. On the other hand, my 70 Barracuda has 71+ doors, one with a ‘70 regulator & the other with a ’71+ regulator and both windows work fine because the window crank shaft exits the lower square hole.

mistreta

Reaction score
Now I need to decide go with a after market regulator with an exchange policy, or one off E-bay that is a used original that I take a chance on.

Xcudame

Reaction score
That's a tough one. If the Ebay seller has a lot of sales and high rating (95+%), you're probably safe. I still like the idea of an original used one better than a new one.

EW1BH27

Reaction score
I'm really curious as to what happened, those regulators are pretty robust. Is it that you can't turn the window crank at all or that it just spins like that Tasmanian Devil?

mistreta

Reaction score
Good news, well I hope. Check out the pictures. I checked the bottom inside of the door and found plastic washer with a threaded hole. I barely can get my hand inside the opening to put the threaded washer back on the screw. But once its on the window rolls up and down. Nothing on the washer (nut) I can grab on to tighten it. There is another washer that is still in place, so I guess that's all that holds the screw in place. You can see the screw in the bottom of the picture without the washer (nut). Any thoughts
IMG_6956.JPG

IMG_6957.JPG

Xcudame

Reaction score
It's a speciality nut to hold the window glass onto the track and distributetheload over a larger area of the glass. I'd put a dab of blue Loctite on the screw threads and then put the nut on finger tight and let it dry for 24 hours.

Back