• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

73 chal trunk weather stripping

RD73RT

Reaction score
bought some supersoft trunk weather stripping for a early 73 model, the problem is that now I can"t adjust trunk lid to close even with the body. seems to thick for my car. Does anyone know the difference in thickness
from the early chall to the later? thanks Rich

burdar

Reaction score
There are different weatherstrips for the early and later cars however.....I have only seen one style and it isn't repopped. My 73 was built in October of 72 so it would be considered and earlier car. The original weatherstripping is kind of shaped like a sail.(almost triangular shaped) I bought both supersoft styles and they aren't even close.

The first style I bought was the one that didn't have a hole through the center of it. That style was used while the bodywork was being done on the car. The bodyshop installs the weatherstripping while they are aligning the panels. The weatherstripping stays inplace during all the filler work. It is removed right before paint. If you don't do it this way, you can have the problem you are describing.

I just bought the other style at the Mopar Nats. It has a hole through the center of the weatherstrip and once installed should look closer to correct. I hope it will compress since it is taller then the weatherstrip I used before. I thought I had a picture of my original piece vers the new repop but I must have deleted it from this computer. I can look to see if it is still on my home computer tonight.

A trick that many people have used is to tape some thick cardboard where the weatherstripping contacts the underside of the trunk lid. Carefully close the lid and leave it closed for awhile...a few days to a few weeks. Then open the trunk...remove the cardboard and hopefully the weatherstripping has compressed enough to allow the trunk to close and be level with the quarter panels.

If you look at cars at shows 99% of them have the trunk lid sitting too high because the repop weatherstripping is too thick.

Last edited:

burdar

Reaction score
Here is a picture of my original trunk weatherstripping(left) and the Supersoft replacement(right). The one on the right is supposed to be correct for early 73 cars. It's not even close.

P1010035 (1).JPG

RD73RT

Reaction score
thanks for your knowedge on restoration problems,I 'm trying the cardboard on the deck lid to see if that helps. If this don't solve the problem I guess I will have to look for a different seal. I do dread the fact that I have to remove the supersoft because I used the 3M weatherstrip adhesive and that stuff works great.I'm sure taking it off
is going to be a pain in the xxx. thanks again, Rich

burntorange70

Reaction score
One on the right looks like the style used on A bodies. Could you cut it down some on the trunk side?

Back