• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

73 Challenger wanna go from Auto to Standard, what do I need?

73 Gone Loco

Reaction score
Hi there everyone, Im new to this but figured I would give it a try. I just bought a 73 Challenger with a 318-727 combo in it. I want to replace it with a 408 and a 4 speed, was wondering what all I would have to do and get for parts to make this happen? I already know that I need the clutch and break pedle assembly, but was wondering what I must do to the console/floor ect.? Any info or help would be great and thanks for your time.

burntorange70

Reaction score
Welcome to FEBO. Good to have you here.

Going to need a 4 speed hump, Z bar, shiter and linkage. There is more I am sure just cant think of any more. Some one else will chime in with more info.

Your trans X member should still work. I know there the same on A bodies so would think the same is true on E's.

Good luck.

73 Gone Loco

Reaction score
If I didn't want to chance the tranny hump, what is my other options? Cut a hole in the floor for the shifter and linkages to clear? Just weighing out my opptions. Thanks for the info and help.

moper

Reaction score
It depends on how authentic you want it to be. If you want it to be pretty close to factory you need: trans, bell fork, Z-bar, Zbar pivot bracket, pedal to Z rod, Z to fork rod, adjustment bolt, clutch insp. cover, flywheel, pilot bearing, trans tunnel floor section, shifter, shifter mount, shifter rods, reverse light in dash, rev light harness, pedal assembly. You have to use the 4sp floor hump or you can't connect the shifter to the trans levers. The floor hump and Z bar bracket are weld-on items.

3404speed

Reaction score
You need a 4 speed hump to do what? Thought that is there to allow clearance around the shifter and a place for a boot. Shifter mounts to the trans with an aluminum plate, and the rods go directly to the levers on the shafts for the shift forks.

Unless you meant that you at least need a hole in he floor to allow clearance for the shifter and rods?

modfly

Reaction score
The "4 speed hump" they are referring to covers the hole you cut in the floor pan. It can be welded in or just screwed down in place with screws. I recently did a few 4 speed e car conversions and I just used screws to secure the "4 speed hump". the shifter mounts to the transmission. The shifter comes through a hole in the back of the hump. Your shift boot and boot bezel mounts there to cover that hole. The picture below shows the infamous "4 speed hump"

The hump in this conversion was mounted over the carpeting. Other wise you need to buy 4 speed carpeting as well. Another $160.00 to add to this mod. When I get the new 4 speed carpet, I will mount the hump under the carpet and I might even weld it in at that time...or not :happy7:

edit. in this car, I removed the console and auto shifter brackets. I prefer this setup commando style with no console.

I'm still trying to get enough money for a pistol grip shifter ( the one with the Hurst logo) so the carpet will have to wait!

The shifter stick in there now is a Hurst "Indy" but e body's must have a pistol grip I always say:wave:

DSC07927.jpg

Last edited:

modfly

Reaction score
4 speed conversion to a 72 Barracuda..In the pictures below, the "hump" is under the correct 4 speed carpet..The "hump" is secured by screws here as well. Oh but look, this one has the pistol grip shifter...yay!

I'm old school and I firmly believe real muscle cars have 3 pedals:icon_smile:

DSC07778.jpg

DSC07779.jpg

DSC07792.jpg

Last edited:

S-S-P

Reaction score
How about driveshaft? Aren't the driveshafts for 727 slightly diff length than 833?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
833 & 727 are the same yolk & lenght driveshaft
904 is 4" shorter than the 727

Back