• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

74 318 auto car

jkling1974

Reaction score
I have a 74 challenger 318 , 373 limited slip , replacing with a used 360 la from a truck with intake, carb & headers but no real hp . I have 727 I’m doing a rehabs on with performance package and shift kit just more just being slightly better than stock . My question is what converter to order ? It’s more a street car and maybe take to track with my kids now and then for fun. So again thinking something just a tad tougher and better performance than stock one.

jkling1974

Reaction score
with a stock motor a stock convertor
I’m confused about weights and converters I’m looking at . Most say “ no weights “ and some say “ balanced “ I know I need one with weights as la motors need that and one I removed has weights. How do we know how many weights needed ? Someone said 318 and 340 and 360 weight amounts are all different . How do I know when buying a converter what weights needed ?

moparleo

Reaction score
360 used a weighted convertor. They are all externally balanced. If you have a stock 360 flex plate, it should have the weights. Then you can use a non weighted convertor. 2500 stall convertor is pretty stock.

jkling1974

Reaction score
360 used a weighted convertor. They are all externally balanced. If you have a stock 360 flex plate, it should have the weights. Then you can use a non weighted convertor. 2500 stall convertor is pretty stock.
I had a 318 with weighted converter . My question is are they all the same ? Summit has many that say “ no weights “ some say “ balanced “ non say weighted . My question is are 318, 340,360 weighted differently ? There is no way to order converters and tell them what motor it’s for .

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The best solution is to use a 2200 rpm stall balanced converter with no weights & run the B&M balanced flex plate for the 360 , keep in mind the 360 LA & the 360 Magnum are balanced differently FYI!
The 318 always was internally balanced & needs no external weights .

jkling1974

Reaction score
La motors I thought were all external . Ive pulled a few 318 la that all had weights on converter. So balanced doesn’t mean weights ok . So I need to get a weighted converter for sure

jkling1974

Reaction score
I didn’t bring up magnums for a Reason everyone gets side tracked with those. Im only talking 318 and 360 la

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
All 273 & 318 engines were internal balance with no weights if you had a weighted converter behind a 318 it was not supposed to be there & probably had a bad engine vibration , most 340s were internal balance steel crank engines , the 73 340 used a cast crank & had external weights which were different from the 360 balance . All 360 engines were external balance with weighted converters .
You will find the easiest way to make this work is to use a neutral no balance converter as there is a far better selection & use a special balanced flex plate to solve the weight issue .

Back