• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

833 4 speed problem

6 pac

Reaction score
i have a completely rebuilt a833 installed in my 340 challenger and everything works perfect except in nuetral and the foot off the clutch, the trans sometimes will whine when I rev it like something is still engaged. With my foot on it goes away. But when it makes that noise it's hard to get a gear. Also the clutch seems to get hot when that happens. Everything is new. It's a mccloud 3 finger setup. It doesn't do it all the time but when it does it's bad. Can anyone help?

Daves69

Reaction score
Pilot bearing or bushing in the back of the crank?
Has the over center spring been removed for a diaphragm clutch and not replaced for the 3 finger?

6 pac

Reaction score
Pilot bearing or bushing in the back of the crank?
Has the over center spring been removed for a diaphragm clutch and not replaced for the 3 finger?
Yes the over center spring is replaced and the pilot bushing was not replaced

6 pac

Reaction score
Also the clutch pedal does not return all the way up. it stops about a 1/4 inch from returning all the way when it's properly adjusted at the fork. If I bring the throw out bearing closer to the clutch it brings the pedal up all the way. But niether affects the wining I get in nuetral

quapman

Reaction score
A whine like that is usually the throwout bearing. It sounds like it might be hanging up on the bearing retainer on the trans. How stiff is your return spring?

6 pac

Reaction score
The wine seems like it's in the case like something is still rotating. I have adjusted the throw out bearing away from the clutch forks and still have the problem. Like something is spinning when it's not supposed to. It doesn't do it all the time but when it does I can't even rev the car in neutral because it sounds like teeth are going to grind

Daves69

Reaction score
You surely don't want the release bearing riding the clutch fingers constantly. Things will wear quickly. The over center spring is dual acting. Assists in pedal depression and returns the pedal to the stop to assure no pressure is on the fingers. If its not pulling it up, its pulling it down. Worn, bent, wrong, or misaligned components can affect proper adjustment.
Another possibility for intermittent noise and shift difficulty could be a dry pilot bushing. It can cause grab on the input shaft. Per the manual clean out pilot and add a half teaspoon of grease behind the bushing.

6 pac

Reaction score
I think I might have something going on with the pedal assy. Because with no pressure it doesn't come all the way back all the way. It stop about a 1/4 inch and I have to pull it up with my foot. I have a new spring on still does it. Everything else is aligned perfectly. And I'm going to try and puts some grease in. Thanks for helping

moparleo

Reaction score
How long ago did you install this trans ? Is this the trans that came out of the car ? Did you rebuild the trans or did you buy it from someone who said it was rebuilt? Did you install it your self or was it done for you ? I know it is a lot of questions but the more we/you know, the easier it is to diagnose. Diagnosing anything always starts from the beginning, not assuming anything. ! step at a time. I would probably just pull the transmission out and inspect everything. It will take less time than guessing.

Back