• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

A833 Stuck In 3rd Gear

sir_veza

Reaction score
Getting things ready for the driving season and wanted to throw this out...
Before I put the Challenger away last fall for the winter I had an issue with the transmission getting stuck in 3rd occasionally. Also it was hard getting into 1st without going through reverse when idling/stopped. Managed to crawl underneath and free up the rod etc. Somebody told me a while ago there is a way to line up the plates while in neutral with shims or a bolt?? Does this ring any bells?
BTW the transmission was rebuilt in 2008 and installing a new competition Hurst shifter in a couple of days.
Thx Steve

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
With the shifter in Neutral & all the levers in the shifter centered there is a U shaped notch in the bottom of the shifter , you can as above use a small allen wrench & slide it through the U shaped notch & all of the levers & then adjust all of the rods to the levers on the side of the trans so everything is sitting centered , you can see the small hole at the bottom , it is a brighter white .

hurst shifter mech.jpg

You may have worn sliders in the syncro hub causing it to jamb in gear even though it was rebuilt also .

sir_veza

Reaction score
With the shifter in Neutral & all the levers in the shifter centered there is a U shaped notch in the bottom of the shifter , you can as above use a small allen wrench & slide it through the U shaped notch & all of the levers & then adjust all of the rods to the levers on the side of the trans so everything is sitting centered , you can see the small hole at the bottom , it is a brighter white .

View attachment 81504
You may have worn sliders in the syncro hub causing it to jamb in gear even though it was rebuilt also .
Makes sense. Thanks Chryco

sir_veza

Reaction score
So probably to avoid potential damage to the transmission I should address the syncro before doing anything else. Transmissions are uncharted territory for me. What specific parts should I be ordering or a whole new hub?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Try finishing what you are doing first , if there is still an issue we can into that further .

NoCar340

Reaction score
When aligning the shifter arms, make sure whatever tool you use is all the way through and fully seated in the "saddles" on either side of the shifter housing.

Last year while setting up the shifter in my Valiant, I found out that an M6x60 bolt is literally the perfect Hurst shifter alignment tool. It's far better than any allen wrench and even better than the Hurst one you should've received with your new shifter. It's a flawless fit in both diameter and length.

This photo shows a screwdriver being used as an alignment tool on my garage floor (there's no room for this under the car). You can see the "saddle" in the shifter frame where the screwdriver's shaft vanishes. I "highlighted" the screwdriver a bit in PhotoShop.

Align.jpg

Back