• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

AAR 'Cuda fuel consumption?

AARinOntario

Reaction score
Any AAR or T/A owners out there that can tell me what kind of fuel mileage they are getting? It's so long since 1970 that I've forgotten what it was back then, or maybe I never cared. But my current AAR seems awfully thirsty.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
They are thirsty. I would guess you are getting 15 highway, 10-12 city.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I tuned a few of these & we were getting close to 20 mpg with them , they can be tuned to be very efficient on the hwy , get into the loud pedal & things change fast though !!

AARinOntario

Reaction score
Well, I may have found the answer to my problem. The problem is that my AAR appears to be delivering approximately 13 m.p.g. (Imperial) or about 10 miles to the U.S. gallon, and that's mostly highway cruising at 60 m.p.h. or less.

I have observed the engine r.p.m. on the tach at 60 m.p.h. and it seemed excessive at around 3350, so I went on line and the online chart told me that I must have a set of 4:10 rear gears in this car, contrary to the data plate and build sheet which show a 3:55.

Next step will be to put the car on a hoist a check the number of driveshaft turns for a full wheel rotation, just to make sure the tach isn't wrong, but it appears that it's the high rear gear that's causing the heavy fuel consumption.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
4:10 rears are fun in AAR's. Too bad gas is so high anymore.

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
As long as you are running on the center carb the milage should be reasonable once you are deep enough into the throttle to allow the secondaries start to open milage will drop .
Make sure both tire are turning equally or one tire is prevented from turning when you do the driveshaft count or it will not be accurate .
You can connect another tach & compare it for accuracy also , the factory tachs are rarely accurate

Back