• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

AAR painting process question

gtxno1

Reaction score
Hi everyone working on my cuda all though I am not ready for paint I am moving along with my body work I am sure this question has been asked 1000x but I do not know the chain of events that need to take place such as what gets painted first the main color or the black also if the body color is first does the black go over color so on and so forth thanks

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
On my own 71 RT challenger. being 2nd owner since mid 70s. When prepping black portion of tail panel, there was no body color under blackout. But under the vinyl the roof was painted body color. As far as what was first I don't know. Also come to think of it there was no evidence of prime. I used lacquer thinner to clean things up and just wiped it off. can see blue on the edges.

20122102_4968.JPG

Last edited:

70chall440

Reaction score
Are you asking how it was done originally or just how to do it? I am not exactly sure how it was done in the factory as I have heard a number of versions, however I "suspect" that the entire car was painted body color (sealer, primer and then color), then the fender tops and tail light panel were masked and shot. Thats how I did my Cuda (not an AAR, but AARish).

Of course the other way is to paint the black and then mask it off and shoot the body color but to me that seems more difficult especially if you are going to shoot body color into the trunk and under the hood.

70chall440

Reaction score
I am not sure if you are asking something or making a statement.. The black is matte or satin so it would not get clear (possibly matte clear, but I am pretty sure the original cars did not have any clear on the car period, they were using a single stage paint for the body color which has the clear in it).

gtxno1

Reaction score
I will be using base coat clear lets say I shoot the fender hit the whole fender with basecoat only clear the color paint black on top of the fender that has been base coated or no color at all for the blackout area?

70chall440

Reaction score
As I mentioned, I would paint everything body color and then come back and paint the black. Since you are going to have to scuff the areas to be painted black it doesn't really matter if you shoot clear over them (since you will be sanding/scuffing them). This should make it an easier job in that you only have to tape it up once.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I would have to agree with 70 chall440. Mostly because paint is more of a sealer,primer and any flat or low gloss by it'self don't.

20180726_091612.jpg

20180726_091539.jpg

Plymouth_Cuda_70_003_0094.JPG

Plymouth_Cuda_70_003_1735.JPG

Last edited:

gtxno1

Reaction score
What paint on that upper cowl area is that organasol also the tail lamp panel

ctaarman

Reaction score
AARs had multiple coats of organosol on top of the body paint. crudely edged with a masking tape. Also sprayed on top of the hood pin backets inside the engine compartment along the fenders. ( Most painters screw that up).There is no flat black I know of that can duplicate the slight crinkle of organosol. I've heard zome folks trying some sand in flat paint but have no experience with that as I was able to find some NOS organosol a few years back.

Back