• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

ACC carpet, mass backing?

440forPOWER

Reaction score
Hello, just about ready to order carpet for a 5 speed conversion in my 70 Challenger. And was curious if anyone has gone the ACC mass backing route? Opinions? I thought I read somewhere that the mass backing is a pain on a 4 speed hump? Thanks

pschlosser

Reaction score
It can't hurt if your car has headers, and is then hotter/noisier in the front floor region. I'm pretty curious about this, myself, since this improvement (butyl layer) doesn't really show, so it's a free noise/heat dampening opportunity, which seems pretty nice.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Installed with no problem with a 4sd.

20220314_164208.jpg

heminut

Reaction score
I got the mass backing and would definitely do it again. My car is an automatic, so I don't know about issues with the manual floor pan but mine laid out really good everywhere. Definite improvement on road noise over the old ACC carpet I took out.

SFEbody

Reaction score
I too used it, the fit is amazing and if you have time to let it lay in place for a week or so, it will form to the floor pan naturally

73Dodge

Reaction score
I've used both and would definitely recommend the mass backed carpet. It's more formed and as a result actually lays down easier in my opinion.It fits nicely around the 4 speed hump and the back seats where the floorpan curves up. Add to all that the sound dampening qualities and it's win win. it helps with heat from the exhaust and trans tunnel too. Some guys have complained it was hard to cut and trim but do yourself favor and get a quality carpet sheer and it will cut like butter.

Back