• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Aftermarket gauges in stock 70 Challenger dash?

Rob2thec

Reaction score
Hey party people,

I have searched and I have not found the answer to my question. My Build is still a few months out, and I know that I will not be getting into the dash for at least a year. But my obsessive personality will not let this rest!!! LOL

What I would like to do is use an aftermarket gauge in the stock dash. Has anyone done this, or know of a company that supplies a kit for this modification? I know that there are some dash kits available like this one:

http://www.classicindustries.com/mopar/parts/*me23013b.html

Not a huge fan of that layout..

But what I am looking for is something along the lines of this:

http://justdashes.blogspot.com/2013/12/1970-dodge-challenger-dash-pad.html

But have the option of using an aftermarket gauge like auto meter ect..

I would love to see some photos and know how you guys have done it, if you have.

THANKS

Hellcat

Reaction score
I don't have any pictures, but what I was planning to do on my 70 Cuda was to use the 3 5" gauge set from Dakota Digital. They have the same layout as the Rallye dash. I haven't tried to fit them in the dash obviously yet, but I would think they would be able to be mounted in there some how. The Dakota Digital gauges look pretty sharp and you can add gauges fairly easily and they will show the reading in the digital display portion of the gauge. Here is the link if you want to check them out....

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=851/category_id=664/mode=prod/prd851.htm

NoCar340

Reaction score
Depending on what you're looking to spend, Speedhut has an enormous gauge selection, and they're all customizable. If you really want to get fancy, they could use your font or put an image on a gauge (Pentastar, Barracuda fish logo, "Challenger" script, etc.) for a few extra bucks. Click here for some interesting options for the speedometer opening of the non-Rallye dash... it frees up an extra spot in the four smaller gauge pods. Personally, I'd go for the 8-grand tach on the large scale with the inset 120MPH GPS speedometer. If you know your car well, the tach is more useful than the speedometer in my estimation. Still, if you spend some time on the site there are an astounding number of sizes, available gauges, etc. All can be customized by clicking on the gauge face and choosing options. Pretty cool. Not horribly priced but not Equus either. Very high-quality stuff, though, and a better value than AutoMeter.

I think the first option you posted is ghastly. Totally incomprehensible layout of the gauges. The second wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the remnants of the huge non-Rallye speedo.

73 kooda

Reaction score
Classic industries dash replacement

Depending on what you're looking to spend, Speedhut has an enormous gauge selection, and they're all customizable. If you really want to get fancy, they could use your font or put an image on a gauge (Pentastar, Barracuda fish logo, "Challenger" script, etc.) for a few extra bucks. Click here for some interesting options for the speedometer opening of the non-Rallye dash... it frees up an extra spot in the four smaller gauge pods. Personally, I'd go for the 8-grand tach on the large scale with the inset 120MPH GPS speedometer. If you know your car well, the tach is more useful than the speedometer in my estimation. Still, if you spend some time on the site there are an astounding number of sizes, available gauges, etc. All can be customized by clicking on the gauge face and choosing options. Pretty cool. Not horribly priced but not Equus either. Very high-quality stuff, though, and a better value than AutoMeter.

I think the first option you posted is ghastly. Totally incomprehensible layout of the gauges. The second wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the remnants of the huge non-Rallye speedo.

Absolutely!!!... My dumb ass purchased that POS from classic industries ... Hate it... Looks cheap !!... Can't wait to either install old non rallye dash or make my own!!!

Mickm72

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Just saw this thread.
I have been working on installing SpeedHut aftermarket gauges in my non-rally Cuda dash.
Here's a shot of what it looks like. I used 3d printed gauge sleeves I designed and had 3d printed from ABS plastic.
IMG_0703_zps6d83a86c.jpg

PHOTOSHOPPREVIEW_zps8b635667.jpg

And what it should look like in the dash.

Cheers!
Mickm72

Mickm72

Reaction score
rbbruno3, that looks awesome! I believe you have achieved an oem looking assembly using aftermarket parts.
Cheers!
Mickm72

slepr1

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Just saw this thread.
I have been working on installing SpeedHut aftermarket gauges in my non-rally Cuda dash.
Here's a shot of what it looks like. I used 3d printed gauge sleeves I designed and had 3d printed from ABS plastic.
IMG_0703_zps6d83a86c.jpg

PHOTOSHOPPREVIEW_zps8b635667.jpg

And what it should look like in the dash.

Cheers!
Mickm72

Is the gauge panel (dash) all made with a 3D printer? Is it a big job to 3D print a complete dash frame from programming to finished frame?

slepr1

Reaction score
This was my first crack at customizing my 71 Cuda Ralley Dash. I'm not completely happy with the spacing and will probably do it again when time permits. It wasn't that difficult since I had a spare dash frame to modify.

IMG_20140919_194224.jpg

IMG_20140919_194224.jpg

Yatzee

Reaction score
Some after market gauges look really slick like the ones posted previously. Many of these gauges are back-lit and are hard to read during night driving or have a "yesterday's" yellowish illumination. I will say with certainty that Autometer's new gauges certainly are visible and if they're a bit too bright Autometer sells a dimmer. Here's a reworked speedo head using their gauges.HPIM3780.jpg

HPIM3780.jpg

Mickm72

Reaction score
Is the gauge panel (dash) all made with a 3D printer? Is it a big job to 3D print a complete dash frame from programming to finished frame?
No I designed and 3d printed the sleeves that are holding the gauges behind the OEM dash. It would be very pricy to 3d print the entire assembly.
Thanks for the interest.
Mickm72

kgradert7

Reaction score
I sent you a Message Mickm72. Have some more questions on your gauge/dash setup. Thanks!

Jimmyspeed59

Reaction score
Here's mine off a base 70 challenger. Used stock cluster including the clear lense and assembly. Just did a little drilling,made the panel and installed speed hut custom guages.
20160730_202405.jpg
20160928_173939.jpg
20160929_124738.jpg
20160928_200201.jpg
20161116_201913.jpg
20161224_133118.jpg
20161218_201955.jpg

Jimmyspeed59

Reaction score
What i liked about it is that I was able to retain the stock cluster for easy installation or removal and kept the stock brake, oil,temp lights. Also without cutting or hacking the dash or plasic dash bezels. Even kept the factory light bar above for additional lighting and everything is dimmable with factory dimmer switch. The speedo has 8000 rpm tach and is gps controlled for very accurate speed indication regardless of whatever gear or tire combination. The antenna for the gps is small and magnetic so I tore out the paper off the front center speaker and stuck it to the speaker frame, covered it in black cloth to look like a speaker then installed back in center stock speaker location. Totally hidden but has clear line of sight through windshield with no wire showing anywhere. Very clean and stock install for the low low price of 700 bucks. Hopes this helps fellow e body memmbers.

Back