• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Alignment specs

Geoff1200

Reaction score
What are the recommended performance front end alignment specs for a 72 Cuda 340? OEM specs are over 30 years outdated and don't factor radial tires etc...

71Plym

Reaction score
Here is some info that I collected for my 71 Cuda:

factory alignment specs for 71 cuda

Camber: -.25 to -.50
Caster: As much positive as possible up to +3
Toe: +1/16" to 1/8" total

With your modern radials:

1/16 toe in
0.5 degree negative camber
as much caster as possible up to around 3 deg positive.
Factory specs are sometimes wide in range and set up for bias ply tires. Factory castor is negative in manual steering cars so grandmas and turn the wheel. And even power steering car have little caster to make them turn like a slush box.

Geoff1200

Reaction score
I am disappointed in the over all steering of this car. Entire suspension was replaced including torsion bars and the steering gives NO feeling what so ever, like it's WAAY over boosted. Will try a good alignment and maybe a Steer and Gear box next...

71Plym

Reaction score
"No feeling" is typical mopar. I rebuilt my front end entirely; poly bushings, ball joints, t bars, struts, etc. Also have a Firm Feel 3 box. Tires made the biggest difference. Polyglass tires were still scary as they nibbled at ever road imperfection. Now with the radials, it is a totally different car. Steering feel is now similar to my Grand Cherokee, which is a big improvement over stock.

71solo2challenger

Reaction score
look at the mopar action low buck way to firm feel steering. Its in the past few issues (will have to look later). Basically you stiffen the check ball spring in the steering pump which decreases the pressure to the steering box.

I'm sending my steering box to firm feel soon for a stage 3 (or more) rebuild. Do the alignment like 71Plym said, that should get you very close to good steering. Also, make sure you get the readout from the alignment guy!! Sometimes the tolerances (or just 40 years of use/abuse) won't allow you to get near that! I'm currently sourcing pieces for my front end rebuild to get a REALLY aggressive alignment.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
there is a spec between the lower control arm & the frame , but typically about 25-26 at the top of the wheelwell

Daves69

Reaction score
how about............

The 1970 Hamtramck Registry "Chrysler Passenger Car Bumper Heights 1965 thru 1976" Page

1617818166476.png

moparleo

Reaction score
I am still amazed...Does anyone have their Factory Service Manual ? The factory alignment specs, ride height, factory tire/wheel size etc... is in it. Just just have to look it up.
The alignment will not completely change the "feel" of your front end unless something was drastically wrong with it. Alignment is getting the static angles adjusted.
Tire type, size, air pressure, rim width and offset will all have a much more dramatic effect on the stability and road feel. Excessive bump steer will make your car actually dangerous to drive at higher speeds over hilly terrain.
Is you car just extremely light on steering effort or what ?The steering box will also have a big effect, especially if it is a standard power steering box.
Are you interested in daily driving and good tire wear or "spirited " driving and not much concern for wear. The alignment would need to be adjusted based on use.

Back