• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Antenna threaded shaft length

domeboys

Reaction score
I recently tried to replace the hood-mounted three-mast antenna that had been broken at the base on my 1970 Challenger. However an inexpensive repro that is said to be correct for the car has a threaded shaft that is a half-inch longer than the one that was previously installed. As a result, the replacement will not screw all the way in (and in fact snapped off again because I did not notice the difference in length until it was too late). Does anyone know if the correct threaded shaft length for this car is 3/4" or 1-1/4"? (see photos)

Would I better off trying to find a 3/4" or grind down a 1-1/4" one to 3/4"?

The fender was replaced during restoration with an original fender from another car, but the prior antenna, base and cable were re-used. However, I cannot guarantee it is original and not replaced at some point since 1970.

I would appreciate anyone's advice. Thank you.

20230520_101630.jpg

20230526_210113.jpg

floyd

Reaction score
Here’s an NOS antenna that is 1.25”. Also, I measured the hole depth on the antenna mounts on my cars. One’s original and one is NOS. Both are 1.5” deep. I wonder if you had some cross threading or a piece broken off in there before you tried to install?

674BAEAD-6AEE-4EAA-8196-B89AB851B197.jpeg

3993B74E-01F7-49AF-B49E-722A78311151.jpeg

EW1BH27

Reaction score
Here's a some pics for you, Unfortunately I didn't measure the length of the telescoping one's stud. The last one is just "deja vu".

Antenna solid.JPG

AntennaStud.jpg

AntennaBroke.JPG

domeboys

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies and photos. There is no evidence of cross-threading. The stud that was in there previously does not look as if it was snapped at the bottom but I cannot rule out a broken off piece of a prior stud still being down there, getting in the way.

It is interesting that the solid mast stud is shorter, like mine, but my car clearly had the telescoping antenna.

I guess I get another and shorten it to 3/4"...

Back