• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

any info on Ed Hamburger 1971 Challengers

Hemi T/A

Reaction score
I'm negotiating with the owner of a 1970 Challenger ex-racecar that was part of the Hamburger race team in N.J. This is a rolling chassis that has gone through a 3 owners and been stored in 2 different "non-climate controlled" storage garages over the last 35+ years . The car was raced with a 1971 Grill and tailights and a shaker hood and Dana 60 rear , but it was actually a 1970 T/A body . it is verified as a T/A by the JOB in the VIN . VIN tags and hidden VINs are there but there are no trim tags on apron . I have inspected the car and it is semi solid , needing complete restoration , fully tubbed , real crude roll cage in the car , some rust in floor pans , trunk and rear quarters . shaker hood and scoop was sold off recently and hood was supposedly acid dipped and getting rusty at the seams . the Dana was sold off many years ago . no idea where the engine and trans got to . car was painted red when it first arrived here in Canada in the early 80s . haven't been able to find much info on the net other than a couple pictures which might or might not be this car . the reminents of the Hamburger blue and white paint scheme can be seen in areas of the car where paint is peeling off . I talked to the guy who originally bought the car from the racer back in the late 70s or early 80s and he said he got the car out of Toms river N.J. but cant remember the guys name that he bought the car from . the guy was NOT Ed Hamburger although he raced through the Hamburger organization and had both this Challenger and a Duster . I cant really negotiate a price unless I can track heritage and figure out what this car is . any leads as to who raced a Challenger with Hamburger ? there is supposed to already be a couple that are known to survive besides this car . Thanks

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Cool stuff , & welcome to the site , I applied to work for Hamburger back in the late70s but green card was unobtainable , I fi I had been able to get the job I would have a lot more info for you but I was living over 3000 miles away .

mmissile

Reaction score
Sounds like there's not much really left. Racecars seem to be dropping in value. DAMHIK. Big name stuff is not anywhere near what it was a few years back. Sounds cool, but consider the investment and value.

Hemi T/A

Reaction score
Sounds like there's not much really left. Racecars seem to be dropping in value. DAMHIK. Big name stuff is not anywhere near what it was a few years back. Sounds cool, but consider
Cool stuff , & welcome to the site , I applied to work for Hamburger back in the late70s but green card was unobtainable , I fi I had been able to get the job I would have a lot more info for you but I was living over 3000 miles away .
Sounds like there's not much really left. Racecars seem to be dropping in value. DAMHIK. Big name stuff is not anywhere near what it was a few years back. Sounds cool, but consider the investment and value.
Thanks for the replies . You are correct that there is not much left , except a restorable shell . The value as far a being a TA is not really there due to the lack of TA equipment and trim tags . The Hemi torque boxes and Hidden partial VINs along with the JOB in the dash vin tag are the only real thing left of it being a TA . The value adder is that it was a Hamburger team car . Although it was not owned or driven by Hamburger it might still have a reasonable value if the original owner could be verified . Maybe a division record holder or such ? Who knows . I wouldn’t be buying to flip it but would like to know that the money put into it for purchase and the resto would be even close to the finished value . I really don’t need another project right now but would love to see this car “brought back “ to its former glory as a recognizable 70s race car . Be nice to know exactly what I’m investing in though

mmissile

Reaction score
Price the market on "name" cars. It's dropping all the time. I've had a few famous racer cars. To do one to show level from a shell....is probably a bunch more than it's worth. JMO

Hemi T/A

Reaction score
First picture , is I believe to be the same car as the car Im posting about but cant verify it , It was a 70 TA body with a 340 4 barrel and a Shaker hood installed along with a 71 grill and 71 Tail lights , second picture was the car when it was raced locally at Pennfield dragway in the early 80s , the third picture is as it appears now , with the shaker hood and the 71 grill sold off . the present owner bought a used Repro TA hood and its against the wall behind the car and a 70 grill stuck in its place , 71 tailights are still in it . The 4 speed transmission in front of car is not out of this car . there is an automatic brake pedal in it and the trans tunnel shows no signs of a hole ever being cut for a 4 speed shifter , only a small round hole for the automatic shift linkage . It had a Dana 60 in it when raced and now has a stock type 8 3/4 in it for rolling purposes . ( Unknown photo credits for the first 2 of these pics , last pic was by Robin McQueen )

indy_1978.jpg

Hamburger 2.jpg

Hamburger Challenger 3.jpg

Last edited:

Katfish

Reaction score
What "hidden VIN numbers", you mean the standard cowl and radiator stamps?

Moparply

Reaction score
Maybe the TA Registry has some info on the car on file. Just need the vin.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
I love these old builds. These cars are exactly what made me build my car today, with a modern twist.

Hemi T/A

Reaction score
after much web searching and a few tips from some people affiliated with the Hamburger racing program , I believe this car was raced by George Duane of Hillsborough N.J. who raced possibly two Challengers , He raced an SS-DA car with a TA hood and an SS-JA car with a shaker hood possibly the same car but I believe they were two separate cars . both had Duanes Sunoco painted on the doors and the SS JA car was later painted the Hamburger team colors

Hemi T/A

Reaction score
found this clipping on a differant site , pre-hamburger team colors , but has hamburgers name on front fender as supplier / sponsor

Attachments

• duane ssja.jpg
    duane ssja.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 231

George D

Reaction score
Well you just found the guy that can give you all your answers. That car you pictured was owned by 2 Canadians one of them was a banker. The last picture you showed of Duane Sunoco with Ed's name on the front fender was my car. That was just before it was repainted with Ed's colors and was a super stock j automatic I ran that car for a few years before I redid the whole thing and turned it into a 1974 and took it out to California to the Winter Nationals where I was able to win class and put Judy Lily on the trailer. When I got out I sold the car to a fella up in New Brunswick Canada. I also owned batchelder's demon for a while before he bought it back from me which he was from maine. Email address [email protected] if you need any more information.

George

George D

Reaction score
Also the j automatic after it was painted into the white and blue I held the NHRA and the IHRA national records.

Hemi T/A

Reaction score
I bought the car a couple weeks ago and brought it home yesterday , now the parts collecting starts . will be returning the car to the former Hamburger configuration as a period correct SS/JA configuration

F1248E3E-0165-4A1C-80B6-2635046C9C8E.jpeg

166F17CA-6876-424A-819E-F2772AE6931B.jpeg

091E9A6F-76AE-4EEB-B45E-2CB2B5F59214.jpeg

Back