• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

B to E body disc brake swap

Tirekickertoo

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 1971 Dodge Challenger that has front drum brakes. I have available a 1973 Dodge Charger (B-Body) that has front disk brakes. I want to swap out the front drum brakes and install the disc brakes/spindles etc. Any issues doing this? I don't believe there is but I want to double check on this forum. Years ago I read an article from Moparts that had charts on what suspension parts/brake parts interchange between B and E body based on the VIN#. Anyone have this chart or can send me the link? Your thoughts...

Thank you,

Tirekickertoo

Tirekickertoo

Reaction score
Hi DrEamer,
Thanks for sending the link and video, enjoyed them both. A few years ago I needed disc brake caliper mounting brackets for 1973 Challenger disc brake spindles. At that time I was able to find a link on Moparts that identified what brake components were interchangeable between the B&E body cars based on the Vin# and I believe casting numbers stamped on the parts. I was successful in finding a junkyard 1974 Dodge Charger that had the caliper mounting brackets I needed. The fit perfectly. I'm not so sure now on the spindles? A lot of opinions and uncertainty regarding my original question wondering if 1973 Dodge Charger disc brake spindles will fit a 1971 Dodge Challenger? A lot of this discussion seems to be based around the 73 Charger spindles being too tall to fit on a 71 Challenger. Bump steer and premature ball joint wear / failure are a concern. Still searching for a definite answer.

Thanks for the help,

Tirekickertoo

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The 73 B body has a completely different system , the K frame was isolated from the frame with rubber blocks , the spindles are taller , while it may work it is not the best swap , any of the FMJ spindles fit so Volare, 5th Ave etc , I have converted many cars using these parts with no issues

Robert Franke

Reaction score
Lol! Wish I would have had dr.emers link a year ago! I bought a clean 71 challenger and going thru it I found front disk brakes. First glance they looked factory. Chrysler markings ect..I ordered 71 parts...nothing fit! Eventually a good parts guy figured out I had 74 brakes on it! They work!

Back