• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

back of tires hitting frame on full turn

mjb765

Reaction score
I’m not sure. I thought there were stops in place to limit maximum turn to lock even though the steering box could still turn more. Just not sure.
Then yes.....that would be them as far as I know. I am hoping there is something else I am missing, nothing so far.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
At first thought I would say you have too much tire, but I checked my 72 Barracuda and it has 245/45ZR17's and they don't rub.
It's possible the fast ratio pitman arm is your issue - I believe the fast ratio pitman arm is longer than stock so the same steering wheel movement will move the steering geometry further for the same amount of input - which will then move the tire further, which might be enough to make contact when using your slightly taller tire...
FYI- I have found tires sizes to be slightly different from one manufacturer to another, which may add to your rubbing issue.
My 17" rims are custom offset to try to maximize the tire size for that rim while also fitting around the brakes and in the fender wheel opening - If I remember right they are 17 x 9 with 1 in negative offset. (Neg offset pushes the rim and tire outboard)
View attachment 121757

You might try a 1/2 -3/4 wheel spacer to see if that solves the rubbing issue. Not saying to keep it, but it would tell you if a different offset (different wheel) would fit and not rub. I am pretty sure the 1/2 to 3/4 in change wouldnt rub on the fender, but you should verify that if you give that a try... wheel spacers are fairly inexpensive. Also Keep in mind wheel lug thread engagement if you try a spacer.
I would have to say someone did there homework before they put that wheel and tire combination on. I bet you don't do any spirited driving, It probably handle like it's on rails. I always thought that was the ideal wheel and tire driving combo. But that's just me.

Last edited:

Challenger RTA

Reaction score

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Does the car sit level?
1711742667560.jpeg

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
So AAR vs regular....will do some research.
The original TA box was just a C body box that was modified and cast with the TA designation. It has a larger sector gear than other 70 B and E cars. They also modified the box with internal stops so it stops before it can contact the frame. So the sector for a TA is not just a C body sector.

mjb765

Reaction score
The original TA box was just a C body box that was modified and cast with the TA designation. It has a larger sector gear than other 70 B and E cars. They also modified the box with internal stops so it stops before it can contact the frame. So the sector for a TA is not just a C body sector.
I am trying to get in contact with Firm Feel to ask the question of whether or not their box has internal stops.....or whether or not the fast ratio arm has anything to do with the rubbing. Also--are those measurements to the bumper from the bottom of the bumper, center, etc?? I would say it sits level, but I will measure it. Also--it rubs on both sides.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Tire size, rim width and rim offset would be useful info for diagnosing your issue.
Need a follow up answer to this question. heminut if I recall is one of the expensed members on this issue. It could be one thing or a number of thing. Don't want to keep shotguning answers. I think heminut zeroed in on it right away.

mjb765

Reaction score
Need a follow up answer to this question. heminut if I recall is one of the expensed members on this issue. It could be one thing or a number of thing. Don't want to keep shotguning answers. I think heminut zeroed in on it right away.
I have this in the original post....235/60 R15 on 7" rims. They are stock wheels but I do not know the offset.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
backspacing vs offset
Read through this it might solve you problem.

mjb765

Reaction score
OK..Problem solved!!!! Firm feel called me back and YES--the steering box on an AAR has internal stops to make up for the longer Pitman and Idler arms.....so either I replace the box or go back to normal ratio arms. At least now I know........I also said there should be some sort of note on their web site explaining this when you buy them.

What's a good source for a fast ratio p/s steering box??

Avalanche

Reaction score
OK..Problem solved!!!! Firm feel called me back and YES--the steering box on an AAR has internal stops to make up for the longer Pitman and Idler arms.....so either I replace the box or go back to normal ratio arms. At least now I know........I also said there should be some sort of note on their web site explaining this when you buy them.

What's a good source for a fast ratio p/s steering box??

Can't firm feel add the stops to your existing box?

mjb765

Reaction score
Can't firm feel add the stops to your existing box?
That's the first thing I asked....and I was told they don't do that anymore....they also do not have the parts. They basically had no option other than new pitman and idler arms...or......now get this........weld a nut on to the lower ball joint to make the stops bigger.........UMMM....NO

Xcudame

Reaction score
Unless you are road racing the car or have a right parking space/garage that requires tight turns, I'd just leave it as is for now.
After buying the Borgeson Kit from Bergman Autocraft from Peter (awesome guy!) I'd never consider a Chrysler steering box unless it was a manual box or a high dollar collector car. Firm Feel makes a better box, but it's still bulkier than the Borgeson box

mjb765

Reaction score
Unless you are road racing the car or have a right parking space/garage that requires tight turns, I'd just leave it as is for now.
After buying the Borgeson Kit from Bergman Autocraft from Peter (awesome guy!) I'd never consider a Chrysler steering box unless it was a manual box or a high dollar collector car. Firm Feel makes a better box, but it's still bulkier than the Borgeson box
I do usually turn to the lock to get out of the garage, but I have been avoiding that since I heard the rub....I am leaving it for now. It's not that much of an inconvenience.

Thanks everybody for the possible answers...but at least the mystery is solved.

Back