• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Barracuda standard dash Clock

douglas17

Reaction score
Looking for a parts breakdown for the standard clock. I have the clock with the 90 degree angle gears on the back, the larger steel tube that is about 1/2 inch dia. by 2 inches long. A shaft with multiple diameters on it, not sure if one is broken off ? And what knob is correct for a 71. Just not sure what I missing before searching for parts.

68bee

Reaction score
Here is a picture from another site. There should also be a small spring I believe.

aar clock stem_jpg_thumb.png

aar clock stem2_jpg_thumb1.png

clock stem 70 cuda reproduction3.jpg

douglas17

Reaction score
Excellent. this is exactly what I needed and a lot more. So only thing missing is the correct adjuster knob, I see them on a few sites for sale but only in pck. of 2. Have the clock cleaned with (Murphy oil soap) for wood. soaked it over night, every thing is clean and shiny . Clock is sitting here running and keeping time. SO FAR. TKS 68Bee.

douglas17

Reaction score
The only other thing I need to know is the size of the HOLE in the bezel, and does the big metal tube stay up behind the bezel or protrude down thru.
Sorry but car did not have the clock option this is being added.

pschlosser

Reaction score
So only thing missing is the correct adjuster knob, I see them on a few sites for sale but only in pck. of 2.
FYI, I don't believe those are the same chrome knobs. I've been told by more than one source (but unverified by myself) the chrome knobs for the Rallye (not Standard) dash look very similar to the Standard dash clock knob, but are not the same - don't be fooled. Two are used for the Rallye dash cluster.

I can add finding these clock knobs is not an easy task, and when you do, they sell for a premium. It isn't often I see them sell for under $100, so keep this is mind as you search.

There are 5 parts in the knob assembly. Refer to the image.

There was someone selling reproduction ones, a machinist who turned out some on a lathe, and while they were functionally equivalent, they did not not look OEM. The repro ones were one solid unit and brass color.

I'm often on the lookout for these clocks being sold, and it seems common they are sold without the adjuster knob.

standard clock parts breakout.jpg

Last edited:

pschlosser

Reaction score
The only other thing I need to know is the size of the HOLE in the bezel, and does the big metal tube stay up behind the bezel or protrude down thru.
Sorry but car did not have the clock option this is being added.

You should find once installed, only the chrome part of the knob is visible through the hole. The black portion comes right up to, and maybe even into the opening but doesn't typically extend beyond the outer black surface of the bezel.

I have not measured this hole, but the black shaft is 1/2-inch and from memory, those holes are about the diameter of a dime (10-cent coin) just under 3/4-inch, perhaps closer to 5/8-inch.

Placement of the hole will be tricky to figure out. I did one by first drilling 1/16-inch pilot hole to check against the black-post center, and adjusted it before drilling the larger one. But the dash was not installed in the car at the time, so I had space to maneuver my angle of view. You want a slow drill speed for a clean hole.

pschlosser

Reaction score
Oh yea, there is a bezel on epay for sale, as of this writing, that has a factory hole, but the bezel has some damage and the seller won't budge on their price.

EW1BH27

Reaction score
A guy on e-bodies.org took the trouble to reproduce the reset. I'm sure you could paint the main barrel black to look more exact. Linking his thread and his eBay listing. Only 2 left if interested.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I have this bezel with what appears to be the factory hole for the clock but it’s ‘70 Challenger only. The location however could be transferred to the ‘71 + bezel. I also have a clock available but it’s rough, missing the knob but was removed from a ‘71 cluster.
IMG_6042.jpeg

EW1BH27

Reaction score
I just checked the eBay ad - the last two have sold. I wonder if my posting caused that.

pschlosser

Reaction score
img_6042-jpeg.112204

@DetMatt1 It would be nice to get a measurement of the hole size, and its distance from the back-bottom edge of the bezel. Left-to-right, it appears centered directly under the clock.

Back