• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Begun the Journey!

TomIGo

Reaction score
I have finally been getting some time into the 70 Challenger. Here is how the starting point looked. It is numbers matching everywhere. Was FY4, I was not able to find out when it was repainted. Was able to scratch areas of all sheet metal and the FY4 shows underneath everywhere except the passenger side quarter, so appears all the rest of the sheet metal is original!
LH_FRT.jpg

So far have removed the engine and trans and was able to free up a frozen cylinder enough to get all the parts out of the engine! Everything mechanical from the block looks ok except for cylinder number 8 that had a collapsed intake lifter and the piston rusted in place about half-way down the cylinder. Next up for that is measuring all the cylinders to see if it needs to be bored, or if I can get by with a good honing. Just by eye, the bad cylinder doesn't look too terribly scraped.

20231102_105801.jpg

Also have the front of the car torn down to the frame rails and core support. The LH inside fender needs replacing as well as the shock mount, and some work is needed on the RH inner fender where the hood hinge attaches. I have removed as much rust as possible - I was surprised how much of it was just surface rust, and how nice the frame rails looked! All remaining was covered with a rust converter.

Full_Front.jpg

Interior is gutted except for the headliner, rear seat belts and dash. All will be coming out this weekend. Passenger side is covered in surface rust, but pounding on it with a screwdriver did no damage. Drivers floor is gone as well as part of the torsion bar support, so I am looking at a drivers side floor pan and a new support. I think Dynacorn has a full floor with everything, so I don't know maybe we'll do it all! The rear under seat pan is also no good, so that will be replaced.

Not planning on doing exterior panels at this time although they need lots of love. I already have 2 replacement fenders ready when I get to that point.

20240509_141829.jpg

JDMopar

Reaction score
Looks like you've got a great start on it! As far as the floor pan goes, I'd replace the whole thing with an AMD full floor pan. AMD has the rear under seat section also, along with the torsion bar crossmember. AMD produces the best quality sheet metal for our old Mopars. There's a big Mopar show somewhere in MN every year, and Stephens Performance comes to that show. They are the largest AMD sheet metal dealer east of the Mississippi, and could bring you the metal you need and save you money on shipping. I'm sure you probably know which show it would be, but I don't remember. It must be a big show in order for Stephens to make the trip from Alabama to Minnesota. Good luck to you!

Xcudame

Reaction score
Unfortunately when the rings rust to the cylinder such that the piston is stuck in there, it'll need a bore.

Looks like a great project car though!

TomIGo

Reaction score
Looks like you've got a great start on it! As far as the floor pan goes, I'd replace the whole thing with an AMD full floor pan. AMD has the rear under seat section also, along with the torsion bar crossmember. AMD produces the best quality sheet metal for our old Mopars. There's a big Mopar show somewhere in MN every year, and Stephens Performance comes to that show. They are the largest AMD sheet metal dealer east of the Mississippi, and could bring you the metal you need and save you money on shipping. I'm sure you probably know which show it would be, but I don't remember. It must be a big show in order for Stephens to make the trip from Alabama to Minnesota. Good luck to you!
JDMopar, I have been on the AMD site several times, and cannot find a full floor that includes all the braces and supports. That is why I am thinking about going with the Dynacorn sold by Classic Industries. It includes everything! You can take a look at it here: https://www.classicindustries.com/shop/search/?q=MM1390
If I am missing something on the AMD site, please send a link!!

JDMopar

Reaction score
I see the difference now. The Dynacorn comes with the torsion bar crossmember already attached, plus the seat reinforcements and the side braces. If you need all of that stuff, that would be the way to go, but if your torsion bar crossmember is good and the side braces, the AMD pan would be a lot cheaper. You can remove the seat reinforcement washers and weld them back to the new pan. I did notice on AMD's site, that they are currently out of E body floor pans.

TomIGo

Reaction score
I see the difference now. The Dynacorn comes with the torsion bar crossmember already attached, plus the seat reinforcements and the side braces. If you need all of that stuff, that would be the way to go, but if your torsion bar crossmember is good and the side braces, the AMD pan would be a lot cheaper. You can remove the seat reinforcement washers and weld them back to the new pan. I did notice on AMD's site, that they are currently out of E body floor pans.
Unfortunately the torsion bar cross member is rotten on the rear side of the drivers end. Approx 2-/12 inches of it is missing, as can be seen in this pic! Although I could not force a screwdriver through any of the rest of the cross-member, I don't want to take a chance not fixing it and having a suspension failure!

LH_Rear_Torsion_Bar_Crossmember.jpg

heminut

Reaction score
Unfortunately the torsion bar cross member is rotten on the rear side of the drivers end. Approx 2-/12 inches of it is missing, as can be seen in this pic! Although I could not force a screwdriver through any of the rest of the cross-member, I don't want to take a chance not fixing it and having a suspension failure!

View attachment 124128
That's pretty bad!

Deathproofcuda

Reaction score

Since your car is a 70, just be aware that AMD floor pans do not use the correct pattern for the stamped stiffening ribs. Many people will never notice the difference, but if you are a person that sweats the details, this could be an issue for you.

Looks like a good project. Good luck with it. :thumbsup:

Back