• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Best engine combo??

Super-G

Reaction score
First a little history on my car....it's a 73 Challenger that I purchased from the son of the original owner. The car's VERY solid. It's an original 340 4 speed car but the original 340 has been replaced with a 440 6 pack. It's still a 4 speed car and it has an 8-3/4 rear with posi and 4:10 gears.

OK so I've finally identified my engine correctly. I have a 69 440 with 68-70 906 heads. I also have an Edelbrock aluminum 6 pack intake and 3 Holley 2bbl carbs. I haven't checked the numbers on the carbs but I'm assuming that the center carb is the 350CFM and the 2 outboard carbs are 500 CFM. What I don't know is the specs on my cam. At idle my car has a minor lope to it. It's nothing radical just a minor lope. Also I don't really let the car idle for long as my carbs all leak a little fuel. I am already WELL aware that my 3 2bbls need a rebuild.

The previous owner was diagnosed with cancer 4-5 years ago and the car was stored inside his garage and rarely started. He passed away last year and left the car to his son who is a Harley guy and not a car guy. So luckily I scored the car.

Now I have all winter to get the car road ready.

Here are a few things I'm not sure about...

For starters the 3 2bbls leak fuel and definitely need a rebuild. It's probably been 20 years since I rebuilt a carb and I'm not all that comfortable rebuilding and then properly tuning a multiple carb set up. So I'm wondering am I better off pulling the 6 pack set up and storing it until I can get it rebuilt properly and for the time being slapping on an aluminum intake with a 4bbl??

Secondly I have ratty headers on the car and I know from experience that headers are a pain in the ass. If I swap out the ratty headers for factory exhaust manifolds, am I choking this engine?

My situation is this...I want the car on the road this spring. I don't like doing things half ass but after buying the car there isn't a lot of money left over for doing anything major. I just don't have the finances to drop this car off at a hot rod shop and say "get her done". This car will be a weekend cruiser only. No shows or track time. Mostly cruise nights and small trips with the kids.

Any suggestions or feedback is appreciated.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
My first choice would be to see if there was someplace local that you could take your carbs for the rebuild and tune-up after reinstall. You would likely spend a similar amount on replacing the intake and carb and you'd still need an air cleaner. A pair of stock HP manifols wouldn't hurt your 440, I personally would prefer them over headers, but that's just me.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The carbs are relatively basic to go through & clean up / reseal , only the middle carb has jets /powervalve/choke etc , the outboards are very basic . there are idle screws in the base plate of the outboards though . Holley still makes rebuild kits for the 6 pack carbs , two kits will virtually cover all 3 carbs

Super-G

Reaction score
OK cool. I have a buddy who's a mechanic and he said he'd try to do a rebuild on the carbs for me. I guess I just thought that this kind of set up really should have an expert or someone with experience. I found a complete Holley rebuild kit for all 3carbs on ebay for about $65.00 and will most likely give that a shot.

I'm personally OK with the HP manifolds as I've had some previous annoying experiences with headers and I just can't justify spending $700.00 on a set of TTI's which are rumored to be the best fitting set.

So if I do a set of HP manifolds and a 2-1/2" manifold back exhaust with Flowmaster mufflers that should be OK for flow??

The thing is that the gentleman who built my motor is dead and his son doesn't know anything about it. I'm just not ready to pull the motor and do a complete rebuild it at this time. The car is so solid and clean that my immediate plans are to just get it on the road and running and then someday do a complete overhaul.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Good or expensive headers are great. They improve gas mileage and performance. If they did not, modern factory vehicles would not have used the technology. Cheap headers are a nightmare. They are not worth the trouble. It comes down to whatever you want to do. It sounds like the motor will work with either exhaust system.

74 challenger

Reaction score
keep the 6-pack had same set up and put a edelbrock and carb on it. dissappointed in set up. the car started easier but there is nothing like the 6-pack on a 440. had headers and wished i kept the manifolds , headers are a pain doing plugs,wires, starter. i think nun of us bought these cars for gas mileage. good luck and can you post a pic of the car please. thanks dave

Super-G

Reaction score
Thanks, yeah I've never had great luck with headers. A buddy who's sort of a Mopar freak told me that my engine NEEDS headers to breathe right but to me it's just a weekend car that will probably see about 1500-2000 miles a year. Do I REALLY need headers for that? Still not sure...

Here are a few pics...

73Challenger004.jpg

73Challenger003.jpg

73Challenger001.jpg

73Challenger006.jpg

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I like the driveway drawings. It reminds me of when my daughter drew them everywhere.

moper

Reaction score
If you are not sure what the engine is, it's not going to get you anywhere trying to decide if headers will make or break it... However, in terms of costs... If you're looking for a set of factory manifolds you're likely to spend upwards of $250-300 for them. Then you have to but the studs and nuts, the nuts are unique... then have the pipes extended up to meet them. By the time you are up and running, you will be within a couple hundred bucks of the TTis, and more money than the cheaper sets. You have a mid-grade set of headers on there from the looks of them. Are they leaking, or just rusty? My truck's cheapies are 8 yrs old and rusty as hell, but don't leak. If you're concerned with the visuals, it might be ok to wait a year and get something then.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
You never Need headers , the manifolds will work & make decent power . will the engine make more power with headers , Yes it will , as stated above Good headers are not an issue but you have to buy top quality , low quality headers will make spark plug changes a nightmare , burn ign wires , leak or scrape on the ground

moper

Reaction score
Actually, I've found that low quality headers mean the owner has to make sure wires are clear, mounts are good, and clearance around things exists. Otherwise, they work fine and will make more power than manifolds every time. One doesnt NEED to buy top quality. It just makes life easier and the better ones last longer given the same usage.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I have to disagree with this , I know of 3 cars running cheap headers where there is no Possible way to make sure the wires clear the headers at all , simply put the only way to stop the wire leaning on the header tube is to unplug it & leave it off entirely , the tube is so close to the tip of the spark plug that short of cutting the tube & reworking it the header cannot be dented for clearance , double insulating socks are ineffective even using hemi type wires with backlite tips the bakelite breaks down & start to short to the headers in short order .

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
Actually, I've found that low quality headers mean the owner has to make sure wires are clear, mounts are good, and clearance around things exists. Otherwise, they work fine and will make more power than manifolds every time. One doesnt NEED to buy top quality. It just makes life easier and the better ones last longer given the same usage.

I disagree with this statement as well. It`s true you do not NEED headers but if you go that route you DO need top quality headers. Doug`s were my choice. Doug`s or TTI are the only ones I would go with. Burnt wires, skinned knuckles and improper fit are just not worth it to save a couple hundred bucks in my opinion!

Back