• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Bipass alt question

Avalanche

Reaction score
I'm doing the alt bypass this weekend. I read up on lots of posts and got great advice here on wire.
From the posts some people leave the old alt wire going to the ammeter and add another wire to starter relay and some remove the ammeter wire.
I just want to bypass wire and leave the original wire? Is this ok?

I will also tie ammeter wires together on one post.

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
That is fine , I leave the factory wire in place when I do it also even though it carries a lot less of the load it still feeds into the the ammeter & ign switch . I typically used 10 ga wire for the bypass unless you have a lot of extras such as numerous cooling fans , electric fuel pump , Efi etc

Avalanche

Reaction score
That is fine , I leave the factory wire in place when I do it also even though it carries a lot less of the load it still feeds into the the ammeter & ign switch . I typically used 10 ga wire for the bypass unless you have a lot of extras such as numerous cooling fans , electric fuel pump , Efi etc

I got 8 gauge wire with a 12 gauge fusible link.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I have never quite understood the fusable link , both ends have power , Alt at 1 end & battery at the other so if there was a short in the wire which end are you isolating ??

70chall440

Reaction score
I could be wrong but I believe the idea is to isolate the battery if the alternator goes crazy. I am running a resetable circuit breaker in my Cuda

Back