• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Borgeson power steering unite

Lee W.

Reaction score
trying to install a new Borgeson steering box and am having trouble removing my steering column. The hole in firewall is not big enough to remove it with the old universal joint on. How would I go About removing that coupler? It is a 72 cuda floor shift.

tonysrt

Reaction score
There is a roll pin on the coupler that has to be removed. I used a plumbers faucet handle puller to remove mine. You may need a very long center punch to get it out because it's probably pretty tight in there.

Lee W.

Reaction score
I did find the small pin but unfortunately I had already pulled the column down and the punch just bounces. so I will go with Chryco Psycho suggestion and pull the floor plate and pull the whole thing out. Thanks for your help!

Rons340

Reaction score
It's like Chryco Psycho explained, Remove the three bolts from the firewall and the entire column unit can be removed. Then you can secure it in a vice to remove the pin and cut the shaft to install the joint.
I have installed a Borgeson unit on my Challenger with no problems.

Attachments

• IMG_2349.jpeg
    IMG_2349.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 384

Lee W.

Reaction score
Now that I have the old steering box out. What do I do with it? Is any one in need of a used 72 cuda steering box or is it just junk now?

Rons340

Reaction score
Now that I have the old steering box out. What do I do with it? Is any one in need of a used 72 cuda steering box or is it just junk now?
The way that I did mine was to mount the new Borgeson box to the K-member, with the new steering joint installed on the box, then bolt the k-member in the car for a test fit. Set the steering column back in place and carefully mark the steering shaft length long enough to seat fully into the joint, then remove the column from the car and cut the shaft to length.
That should get you ready for a proper install when you reassemble everything permanently.

Lee W.

Reaction score
That is what I planned to do putting the steering column back in for the measurement. them remove it to cut to length. As far as the k-member I have a big old 440 sitting there so not to easy to remove it. My question was getting rid of the old steering box. Thanks for your reply I am glad I am on the same page with some one.

tonysrt

Reaction score
You don't have to cut the shaft when going from power steering to the Borgeson box. Only when going from manual to P.S., as long as you have the Bergman coupler. I've done 2 and never had to cut shaft, 71 Cuda & 74 Duster, and both had P.S..

theshado

Reaction score
Now that you mention it... I recently found out the input shaft on my 72's is bent! Is your steering box power?

Lee W.

Reaction score
I asked the question a month ago what can I do with it. no one answered then so to the dump it went

BillJ

Reaction score
Hi Gents I am going from manual to power. There is no way that the Mopar original looking Borgeson coupler is going to work. (See Pic) I called Borgeson and the owner told me to hammer in the shaft. I think that is a bad idea. Any comments? Ron 340 what universal did you use.... I like it. Of course someone on this board said you could get vibration. Bill

SteeringCoupler.jpg

Back