• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Brake Bleeding Nightmare

youngcuda

Reaction score
Hey SFEBody, what is the universal kit that you refer to in your post? Mfg, source, cost?? It may solve my issues. I have had problems with my brakes on my 70 Barracuda since complete restoration and rebuild. New everything as far as brakes concerned (MC, Booster, lines, drums, components, etc.) I have bench bled the MC, adjusted the booster pushrod to MC, and bled all 4 corners several times. With the engine off, I can pump up the brake feel. As soon as I start the engine, the pedal goes down almost to the floor and braking action is almost nil until I get to the end of the pedal travel and then it is nearly immediate full braking action. Any ideas by others???

Recent Cuda pic.JPG

Steve340

Reaction score
Youngcuda.
It could be air in the system. Give the pressure or vacuum bleeding a try.
I vacuum bleed all the time it does work very well and I can do the job by myself.

gzig5

Reaction score
When using a vacumm bleeder i put white sealant around the thread on the bleeder screw as the the bleeder tends to suck air in from around the thread (the path of least resistance ) rather than sucking fluid once all the bubbles have gone follow up with a pump ,hold & release method if pedal is still soft check rear brake pad adjustment
This is a great tip on the coated bleeder screw. I saw this recently doing my son's Tacoma brakes. Kept getting bubbles and would have been there forever until I realized that opening the bleed more to get more flow was allowing air to come in the loose threads.

Pete1970Cuda

Reaction score
Hey SFEBody, what is the universal kit that you refer to in your post? Mfg, source, cost?? It may solve my issues. I have had problems with my brakes on my 70 Barracuda since complete restoration and rebuild. New everything as far as brakes concerned (MC, Booster, lines, drums, components, etc.) I have bench bled the MC, adjusted the booster pushrod to MC, and bled all 4 corners several times. With the engine off, I can pump up the brake feel. As soon as I start the engine, the pedal goes down almost to the floor and braking action is almost nil until I get to the end of the pedal travel and then it is nearly immediate full braking action. Any ideas by others???

View attachment 102994
Hi youngcuda, I have exactly the same problem on the same car! Did you ever solve this please?
Cheers
Pete

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Had the same problem. Mine had new lines hoses rotors calipers pads shoes parking cable and good drums and rebuilt wheel cylinders master cylinder. Have everything within spec, drums rotors pads and shoes. adjust parking brake. parts can have wear as long as they are in spec. When you bleed the brakes Did you reset the front metering proportioning vale? sometimes you do nothing some times you simply pull it out and bleed brakes.other time use the clip to hold it or have someone hold it. Try moving both ways . https://www.forebodiesonly.com/forum/attachments/brake-valve-jpg.82222/

Last edited:
Back