• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Cam Bearings?

jackn440

Reaction score
Anyone here ever spun a cam bearing? If so, what are the symptoms. Just rebuilt the engine a couple months ago, they were the only bearings I didn't replace. Couple days ago it started losing oil pressure and eventually started making a loud squeaking sound that increased/decreased with idle speed. Kept driving for another mile or so and it developed a bit of a knock along with the squeak. At which point I immediately shut the engine off. Gonna tear down the motor if I get a chance tomorrow (Thurs), so I guess I'll know then.

djwhog

Reaction score
Depends which one, but you can loose oil to the top end for the rockers etc, not good, sorry!

jackn440

Reaction score
Just pulled the intake and rocker arms. 7 of the lifters were completely caved in on the cam mating surfaces, and #2 exhaust lifter's plunger came out and was sitting in the valley. No bueno.

6packcuda

Reaction score
Wow! No bueno is right. Lubrication problem maybe? Maybe the oil pump went. Will be interesting to see what the bearings look like now.

Back