• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Camaro horseshoe

jkling1974

Reaction score
Wondering if Anyomg knows if I can use one of the 68/69 horseshoe shifter meant for turbo 350 and 400s can work on a 904/727 mopar ? My kid likes them a lot and don’t want to buy one until someone says yes or no lol . Seems like it’s still a cable right so it should work but I don’t fully understand how the cable tension works to put in and out of gears but y’all know better than me

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The Mopar trans has a longer throw between Reverse & Park than the rest of the gears so generally you can get 1-2-D-N-R to line up but park wont go , if you get Park to work the rest of the gear don't line up correctly .
Cheetah shifters are the only ones I knoow of that are designed to work correctly for this on Mopars

moparleo

Reaction score
Mopar discontinued using a cable to shift the automatic back in 1966. They have used linkage rods since then.
You would have to also use an aftermarket cable but as was said. They are not compatible.
Your son will just have to learn the Mopar way. We don't do GM...

jkling1974

Reaction score
I have slap stick in my challenger I like them for sure it was just a thought for my kid who kinda likes that horseshoe. not because its chevy but because its like a airplane throttle. I see guys with B&m shifters with cables in a lot of mopars. how does that work if they aren't cable operated ?

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I remember driving a few shipmates Bow ties that had it.Looking at the picture there is a cable that goes in the front rounded slot. it then would go to the the transmission with an a accompanying mount and slot. the exposed ends of the cable would have to a range a motion to shift. You may have to modify a trans shift lever for the correct length.
Just taking an experienced guess at it.
Horseshoe shifter.jpg

jkling1974

Reaction score
Yeah what I’m seeing it’s park that seems to be the biggest isssue . We aren’t going to do it . Any suggestions on b&m shifter that will work for mopar ? I see lots cars with them in there or did they all have to modify their trans levers ?

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Just an other thought.use the slap stick shiftier linkage and make a shift rod to connect to the shiftier.

heminut

Reaction score
Yeah what I’m seeing it’s park that seems to be the biggest isssue . We aren’t going to do it . Any suggestions on b&m shifter that will work for mopar ? I see lots cars with them in there or did they all have to modify their trans levers ?
Pretty much any B&M shifter will work in a Mopar, they come with different brackets for different applications. I have a B&M Starshifter in my 70 Cuda with a TF727 and it works great. This is the second one I've used with a TF727 and they work just fine.

basketcase70

Reaction score
Dodge pickups 66 through 68 used a dash mounted shifter with a single cable. The transmission end of the outside sheath for this cable is mounted in a bracket that bolts to a cast in boss on the side of the bellhousing. Clamping the Chevrolet shifter cable (several variations of this shifter depending on the model and year of the OEM application- Camaro, Chevelle, Impala, etc.) into the Dodge pickup bracket or fabbing up something similar to use with the GM shifter is very do-able.
Modifying the notches on the shifter mounted shift comb in the GM shifter or making up a replacement from mild steel plate to match what the MOPAR transmission needs to shift properly should not be difficult at all.
I would think adapting it into a Mopar console and making it look like it grew there would be the greater trick.

jkling1974

Reaction score
Pretty much any B&M shifter will work in a Mopar, they come with different brackets for different applications. I have a B&M Starshifter in my 70 Cuda with a TF727 and it works great. This is the second one I've used with a TF727 and they work just fine.

[/URL]
Hmmm guys on here keep saying can’t use them , B&m says Ford or Chevy only . This one you posted for sure will work ? I’ll buy it if you were able to get it to work .

Rapidfire

Reaction score
You can put a horseshoe/staple shifter in your e body as long as you have the knowledge and ingenuity do it, but why? The orginal shifter that's in it is the best out there and it's bone stock! You can tune the linkage easy and where you want it. No sense in replacing a nice working shifter with a cable set up. Just a step back in my opinion. I have a "horseshoe" shifter in my Chevelle and have used it for over 40 years and looks good but that's about it. If you want that type of shifter then buy a Carmaro or Chevelle like I did. I wouldn't change out my Slapstick for anything....well maybe for a 4 speed! Lol. Anyway like @moparleo said We should stop beating a dead horse!

heminut

Reaction score
Hmmm guys on here keep saying can’t use them , B&m says Ford or Chevy only . This one you posted for sure will work ? I’ll buy it if you were able to get it to work .
Absolutely! I have one in my 70 Cuda with a TF727 right now. It's the second one. The first one worked great also, but after being parked for several years the rubber boot was cracked, the plastic cover was cracked, and the cable was frozen. It was just as cheap to buy a new one as it was to replace the bad parts. The first one I bought about 20 years ago, and the second one last year. Both of them worked just fine. No problem with the detents lining up or anything. I'm guessing those who say they won't work have no actual experience with putting one in a Mopar.

jkling1974

Reaction score
Slap stick seems to be to much work y’all. Cable operated floor shifter should be easy but I didn’t know how much these shifters are not meant for mopars .

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I know they’re very popular and one of our own here produces them but I never liked seeing those pistol grip automatic shifters.

Back