• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Car completely shutting off when I hit the brakes

B2G707

Reaction score
I noticed within the last few months first my radio would just turn off at while sitting at a red light other then that everything seemed fine once I turn it back on. Then I noticed my subwoofers(two 10's) would cut off after (A) I would come to a stop and (B) if I was driving at night and turn my head lights on. But also noticed my subwoofers would pound again once I gave some gas.

But now I have to jump start my car every time I want to use it. So the other day I jumped started my car just to drop off some mail at the post office drop off box. I come to a red like and hit the brakes and my whole car totally shuts down.

Couple of months ago, I got a new alternator installed.

Can anyone help me out? What they think could possibly be the issue or where I should even start to investigate?

Cudafor36

Reaction score
Look at the connections in your bulkhead. Those go bad at times as witnessed his some brown/black looking connectors.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Either your battery isn’t charging at all or it’s not charging fast enough to keep up when everything is on. Check all your connections as stated above but also put a trickle charger or battery tender on it and give it a full charge. Once it’s fully charged you can perform some tests on the charging system.

rbbruno3

Reaction score
I had a bad connection on my dimmer switch that was making one of my cars cut out intermittently. Might not be it but easy to check

Alt belt tight enough??

DocCuda

Reaction score
Look for loose grounding straps on the radio. Very likely the problem. Sometimes just enough connection to use the radio, sometimes not. Strange that it would affect engine running but i’ve heard of that too. It must have something to do with the ignition connection.

Last edited:
Back