• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

car stall after startup 1973 cuda w/ 340

mikes456

Reaction score
I ‘m having a problem with my car. These are the events in order as they occurred.

1. A few weeks ago I took the car for a ride.
  2. It stalled in traffic and the battery was low from not being driven because it was at a friend’s garage where we did some recent work I could not get it started.
  3. Called triple AAA for a jump, they came out jumped it and it started right up, but when the power pack used to jump it was removed it stalled. (battery really dead)
  4. Put a battery in started right up but ran poorly at idle and low speed and limped home.
  5. The following was done to try and fix the problem.
A: Replaced the ignition module, and dual ballast resistor and disconnected a non-factory
tach.
B: Replaced coil.

The car starts right up runs perfect for about 45 seconds to a minute than stalls. I have a fuel pressure gauge and the pressure is good.
The only thing out of the ordinary I noticed is that the ignition switch is getting sloppy and I sometimes have a hard time getting the key in it. Could this be the cause?

I recently did the following work to the car:

1. Replaced headers
  2. Replaced steering box
  3. Installed the fuel pressure gauge and related plumbing to carb.

I’m ordering a distributor but I do not think it is the problem.
Any ideas?

Thanks MIke

mikes456

Reaction score
A piece of Teflon tape got stuck in one of the needle and seats of carb and it was dumping fuel.
This was from when I plumbed the fuel pressure gauge.
That being said the cylinder lock in the column is sloppy and must be replaced.
The local auto parts have them for $18 might be junk, not sure.
Year One , Jims and the other people sell them for more money.
should I buy local? I think everybody has the same stuff?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
You didn't say it was fooding. If it flooded that bad, I would change the oil. Pull the oil dip stick. If it smells like gas change the oil due to the ring wash out from the fuel.

mikes456

Reaction score
I could not tell it was flooding until a got a second person to keep motor running while I looked at carb. The oil has been changed and hopefully no more tape will move. What are your thoughts on the cylinder look for the column should I just by local or are the ones from the restoration places better they do cost more? thanks for the help

moparleo

Reaction score
Most of the restoration houses have a price match guarantee. They just need a copy of the price from a catalog or website.
This way you can still support the resto houses which have spent money to get our resto parts reproduced so we can restore our cars.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Most of the lock cylinders are made by one company , I would get the best pricing , unless it is Old stock pgked in Briggs & Stratton box as they are OEM .

Back