• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Carpet questions for 70 Challenger

70RTSE440

Reaction score
I need to replace the carpet in my 70 Challenger. I've been reading some posts on carpet. Looks like most recommend ACC. A couple of questions:
1. Is everyone buying the standard loop carpet or going with one of their upgrades?
2. They talk about their Mass Backing. Is anyone upgrading to this or what is the consensus for what to put down for sound deadener or padding under the carpet?
Thanks in advance for all your replies and input.

Adam

Reaction score
I used their carpet; the weight and texture is good, but the molded heel pad and jute under pad made it difficult to get the carpet to lay down in the driver’s foot well. Whatever you do, don’t trim the sides until the front seats and console are at least sitting in position. I used a long pointy drift, which I heated up with a propane torch, to make the holes for the seat studs. The hot metal will melt right through the carpet and jute, leaving a clean hole. Just be accurate!

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Great advise Adam. I'm just wrapping up the carpet install in my T/A using the same vendor. I used a steamer and got the carpet real damp and then placed several wrapped up bricks on the carpet in the driver's footwell area to get it to lay down nice. Hot awl worked perfectly for me as well for the seat bolt holes...

KATSAAR

Reaction score
I use legendary's carpets in all my cars. 80/20 loop

70RTSE440

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies Adam and Grady. I can buy ACC standard carpet from Yearone for $149. They say it comes with the jute backing. Is that what you guys are installing? I'm guessing it would be the closest to the original carpet and backing. Is anyone laying down any of the underlayment/sound deadening before installing the carpet?

340challconvert

Reaction score
I use legendary's carpets in all my cars. 80/20 loop
Katsaar, how was the fit and finish of the legendary carpet?
Dino2 (1).gif

KATSAAR

Reaction score
its a great fit. there's plenty of extra on the edges for you to cut and fit.
I've done a couple 4 speed cars recently.
a 70 cuda and a 65 coronet .both 4 speeds.
great fit around the hump.
of course you have to work it and massage it a little.

Back