• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Carter 4740S AVS Carburetor Fuel Filter

caj

Reaction score
Hi all. From what I have been told, on a 70 Challenger 440 (california built) auto trans car the only fuel filter used is the fuel vapor. Someone mentioned that there is a solid inlet fuel filter that was used. Here is the link to it.
Sintered Bronze Carburetor Fuel Filter
Is anyone using this fuel filter? I can't believe that a fuel vapor separator is used alone because I don't see any protection there. Thanks, Craig

moparleo

Reaction score
Like you said, a vapor separator is not a filter. That wouldn't make any sense. Unless your car is not going to be driven, a trailer queen, you should install a removable filter in line between the fuel pump and the carb. The plastic, semi-transparent filters are very inexpensive and allow you to see any dirt or water in the fuel line.

moparlee

Reaction score
Install a metal canister filter as a plastic one has the potential of melting and causing a fire if it's installed too close to a hot surface, like the intake manifold. There is also a filter sock on the fuel sending pickup tube in the gas tank.

caj

Reaction score
Like you said, a vapor separator is not a filter. That wouldn't make any sense. Unless your car is not going to be driven, a trailer queen, you should install a removable filter in line between the fuel pump and the carb. The plastic, semi-transparent filters are very inexpensive and allow you to see any dirt or water in the fuel line.

Thanks for the reply. Do you think it would be better to install a metal filter under the car near the rail so it isn't seen? If not, is it better to install between the separator and carb or the fuel pump and separator?

caj

Reaction score
Install a metal canister filter as a plastic one has the potential of melting and causing a fire if it's installed too close to a hot surface, like the intake manifold. There is also a filter sock on the fuel sending pickup tube in the gas tank.

Thanks for the reply. I agree with your comment about the metal canister filter. Do you think it would be better to install a metal filter under the car near the rail so it isn't seen? If not, is it better to install between the separator and carb or the fuel pump and separator?

caj

Reaction score
Also, One thing I'm keeping in mind is that his car is a shaker car and I'm not sure about the clearances between it and the manifold.

Last edited:

moparlee

Reaction score
No need to install the filter near the frame rail and there is not enough room between the fuel pump and the separator. Best place is between the separator and carb. Factory installations were between the fuel pump and carb when there was no separator.

caj

Reaction score
No need to install the filter near the frame rail and there is not enough room between the fuel pump and the separator. Best place is between the separator and carb. Factory installations were between the fuel pump and carb when there was no separator.

Thanks. It all depends on if I'll have room. It's tight between the shaker and manifold.

moparleo

Reaction score
If you put a filter in a location where it could melt,( intake manifold? really?) you wouldn't put any kind of filter there. Plastic filters have been used for decades, they wouldn't make them if they were dangerous. I didn't know what type of air filter you had.

caj

Reaction score
An update to my fuel filter issue. I took off the 3/4" inlet bolt on the carb and attached to it is a metal mesh screen. After seeing that, I don't plan on going any further with adding another fuel filter. Thanks for all the responses.

Back